How is this possible?

I am 3 months post partum. I have 10 lbs to lose to get back to pre-pregnancy weight. I gained 35 lbs and worked out every single day of my pregnancy. I am currently running between 6 and 8 miles per day (doing anywhere between an 8 minute and a 10 minute mile). I am strength training 3 to 4 days a week for 30 min. I am also on a diet and eating 1100 to 1200 calories a day (I track every single thing that goes in my mouth with a food journal). The needle on the scale has NOT budged. Why?????????????????????????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Because you need to "confuse" your body. Your body adjusts to any change over time. When I hit the plateau, I changed up a few things..on heavy cardio days, I ate more..calorie recycling. I would eat 1200 for a few, then 1550. If your working alot and not eating enough, you will hit starvation mode.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree, you have probably hit a plateau. Switch things up like Dani32 said. Also one thing that really bugs me is that so many women only care about the number on the scale. If you're doing strength training then you're building muscle (which is a very good thing because muscle burns fat), but muscle weighs more than fat so your weight may not go down much in fat it may go up sometimes. You should be more concerned about inches, measure yourself around the waist, hips, and thighs to see if you're getting smaller. If your clothes are falling off then who cares what the scale says? lol Good luck! :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 9:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You are not eating enough calories. Your body has gone into starvation mode and is now holding onto everything you put in your mouth and it is being stored as fat. Your body is also taking from your muscle for fuel.
    Those of us that have lost large amounts of weight have learned that the body needs 1500 to 1700 calories a day to lose weight. The body needs calories to burn calories.
    Think of your body like a bonfire. The more fuel that is tossed on the fire the higher the flames. When very little fuel is used the flames die down.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? It is much harder to loose if you aren't breastfeeding. It's not nice to fool mother nature.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would look more at what you are eating. You should be drinking lots of water (at least 8 8oz glasses a day), eating fruits and vegetables (7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors), eating whole grains (5-6 servings a day), and eating legumes (at least 2 servings a day)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• if you dont eaet enough then your body kind of shuts down and stores fat then when you eat more it is easier to gain the weight.
    You should look up healthy diets and amoutn of calories you should have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree on the comments on your caloric intake but I'll relay some advice I heard from my personal trainer: the body gets used to certain exercises which results in the dreaded weight-loss plataeus and she recommends mixing things up with a totally new routine. Instead of running, try a step or spin class for a while. Even some workouts videos if you have them. Also, she mentioned to me that strength training more than 3 times a week will bulk you up, which could also be what's happening. Try down to 2-3 times a week and mix up your workouts? Most of all, muscle weighs more than fat so keep that in mind. 6lbs of fat lost plus 6lbs of muscle gained looks the same to a scale but is actually much better for you so just go by how your clothes are fitting and forget the scale. Hope this helped, good luck!
    Eau_Rouge

Answer by Eau_Rouge at 7:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Have you measured yourself or are you just counting on the scale to move? Women will lose inches long before their scale will move.

And, I do agree you may not be taking in enough "fuel" for your body to burn thus your body is hanging on to everything its recieving.

Drinking enough water? Divide your weight into 2 ,then drink that in ounces of water.(ie 220 pounds=110 ounces of water daily)
    Herbalife

Answer by Herbalife at 7:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009