Have you ever stolen something by accident? What did you do?

The other day I was in Target buying a bunch of stuff (total came to around $80). I had my 3 month old with me and my 3 year old who was sitting in the cart. The 3 month old was getting hungry and started to fuss and the 3 year old was...well being a 3 year old. I was also in a hurry because I was running late to meet a friend and her kids for lunch. As I put my baby in the car I realized there was a teething ring that I had intended to purchase in his car seat. I didn't go back in because I was running late but I'm feeling really guilty about it. Would you go back and tell them what happened or just let it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had a key made at Wal-Mart one time and put it in my pocket and forgot to pay for it. I didn't realize it until days later when I was cleaning out pockets to do laundry. I never ended up paying for it because I don't go to Wal-Mart that often, but I've over-paid for some stuff since then (like the price at the register was higher than the sign), so I figure we're even. In your situation, I would probably go ahead and go back and pay for it. I sincerely doubt they'll do anything to you if you explain what happened, especially if you intend to pay for it. And it'll make you feel better. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• if i steal and dont mean to i keep it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• One time my little girl was 2 and a half and we were at the mall in limited 2 she was walking but i was pushinig her stroller we was looking at the candy for a while in there and i guess she picked up a box of crabby patties and put them in the stroller without me knowing.....we walked out of the store and about 10 feet from the store and she pulls it out of the cart and goes "mommy i don't think we need this anymore" i was freaking out lol i said "Emilee you can't take stuff without paying for it" i told her she had to go back to the store and return it to the lady and say sorry...the girl was folding cloths at the front of the store and must have seen the whole thing b/c when she walked back in she was laughing a little
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have taking a drinik and forgot to pay for it with my other stuff like i opened it while i was shopping so the next time i went to that same store i told them about it and made them ring another drink up twice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Here's the thing what you did was an honest mistake, it happens. I wouldn't worry about the teething ring that much. Now if the item had been say over 10 dollars, I would have probably taken it back and offered to pay for it. The thing is because you've had it, they can't resell it. It will have to be returned to the manufacturer and most of the customer service reps will just tell you not to worry about it, because its a lot of paperwork for them. My DH is an assistant manager and he even said not to worry about it.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I've done that more than once. We usually do all of our shopping at walmart and i had put a package of toilet paper in the bottom of the cart because my cart was full and i forgot to put it up when we checked out. Well we got out to the car when i noticed it and checked the reciet (spelling) and it wasn't there so i went right back in and paid for it. Sometimes i do the same thing with the big bags of cat food or cat litter but i always pay for it at the end. I feel to guilty even if it was an accident.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I put a pkg. of Capri Suns in the bottom of the buggy once (there wasn't any more room inside it) and when I got out to the vehicle, I noticed it under there still and knew I hadn't paid for it...I just walked back in with it and told the greeter- gave it back to him...I didn't have time to buy it then- I had ice cream in the car melting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• this has happened to me a few times. one time we were at walmart and my 3 year old was in the cart and my other son was in his car seat in the seat part of the cart and i was putting the shampoo and soap under his car seat in the seat because my son kept getting into it and i forgot about it until we got to the car. another time i had a cart with a car on the front and my son was in the car and when we got outside he said "yummy" and i looked in the car and he had 2 magazines and a bag of candy. i didnt go back into the store either time....
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We try really hard to remember the bottom of the cart because cashiers dont look to see whats there. Cant tell you how many times we've gotten free water or soda because hubby didnt put it on the belt. Now I tell the cashier we have so and so on the bottom to make sure she rings it up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I went shopping this morning and told the cashier "I have water and beer under the cart" (they ask that you leave heavy things in the cart). She said okay, punched in the water and continued scanning all the items. She tells me my total and starts talking to my son, I asked her about the beer. She's like oh i know, I'll scan it. Had I not been paying attention I would have walked out with a case of beer for free!!
    There was one other time I went shopping and my son threw M&Ms into the cart and I didn't notice until we were outside. I didn't go back in to pay though.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2009