Anyone have any tips on stopping a nose bleed?

My 3 year old keeps gettin nose bleeds they usually arent bad an usually happen because he picks his nose! Well at 2am he woke up with a bad nose bleed an it took me almost 30 mins to get it to stop i had to pinch his nose for 15 mins to get it to stop an that is hard to do on a 3 year old!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have u had his blood checked? i know u said he picks his nose but when kids get nose bleeds from picking their nose its not usually that bad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My ex-husband used to wrestle back in college. He got nose bleeds frequently and they always used cut up tampons to stop the bleeding.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I took him to the docs 2wks ago because he is having tummy issues an the doc asked me if there was anyone in our family with bleeding disorders an there isnt! The doc has order blood work to be done but idk if thats what he is testing for i know doc is testing for krones diease!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Bleeding that long is worrisome. Pinch the bridge of his nose and lean his head back a bit. Best of luck to you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• low blood platelets is what im talking about.... that can cause nose bleeds too.. it does run in families but there are other things that can cause it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have extremely horrible nose bleeds... it bleeds for 3 days after going on one rollar coaster... TIP!!! Ice on the nose, cotton/paper towel rolled up under the upper lip, cold washclothe on the back of neck, pinching the nose (obviously). They used to say lay on their back but I read that now they want them looking down at the ground which hasn't done anything but created a steady dtream of blood from my nose into the toilet/sink/tub.
    My dad had them bad like I do, but he luckily grew out of his... i haven't yet at 24!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• For a child, I wouldn't shove anything up his nose. Have him lean forward and pinch his nose until the bleeding stops. (Reason: Leaning head back causes blood to flow towards throat, blood is then swallowed and causes nausea and vomiting.... and pressure from vomiting could make the nose start bleeding again).

If he has a scratch (from picking) in his nose that is causing the bleeding, an ENT or your pediatrician might have to cauterize it, if he doesn't let it heal. A nose bleed in a child lasting 30 minutes is serious. Next time it happens, he needs to be seen immediately by a physician - whether it's your pediatrician or an ER physician.

Btw, there is no blood test that tests for Crohn's disease. Check with your pediatrician to see if he was testing for anemia (caused from blood loss or malnutrition) or clotting disorders (why it takes so long for your son's bleeding to stop). If he hasn't, ask him to.
    PurdueMom

Answer by PurdueMom at 10:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Three of my kids are nose bleeders. One gets them because he has severe allergies, one from picking and one has Von Willibrand's (blood disorder) & she picks her nose! The best thing to do is pinch the bridge of the nose and lean the child slightly forward so he doesn't swallow the blood (that causes stomach issues). Icing doesn't do a thing even though it is a recommended tradition. Shoving things into the nose actually makes it worse because the clot that forms is then stuck into the item and when you remove it you can break open the clot. That is the main reason for repeat nose bleeds, the clot gets broken open again. After the bleeding is stopped gently spray saline solution to rinse out the extra blood and using a q-tip swirl some Ayr saline gel to keep it lubricated and repeat that several times over the next few days. Don't use petroleum jelly as that traps in germs which can cause infection.
    shaecastle

Answer by shaecastle at 10:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Do NOT pinch the bridge of the nose...just pinch the end of it and close it for a few minutes...repeat a few times...If it doesn't stop after that he should be seen...he might have very thin blood or some kind of a bleeding disorder that he needs checked out...It sounds like MAYBE his nose might be super dry from allergies or from the air being dry. maybe some saline spray/drops on a regular basis will help...if he's picking it a lot also, it might feel crusty and he might be trying to clean it out....good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• shaecastle and the ones that answered as such are right on, add a cool compress to the back of the neck and you are set. I agree with those who said to call an ENT and have your child seen, being a umm aggressive, avid? Nose picker he could have done damage that is causing the nose bleeds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2009