Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Ok no bashing im asking an honest question and would really like some help. My fiance and I have a 2 yr old daughter, he has a 3 yr old son with an ex. When they went in to do child support it got set at 377.00 a month and he was making 12 dollars an hour at that time. He is now making 8 dollars an hour and brings home about 200 dollars a week. I fully agree that he should pay child support but we cant make it right now. We have our dd and i work too, at min wage. My question is should he request a review in hopes of getting it lowered? Also at the original hearing his ex was making 14,000 a yr and they have that income on file still. But she is no longer working. Would requesting a review backfire on him? Bc we just cant afford to pay out that much when we have our dd to support also.

Answer Question

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • First, depending on your state, you might not be able to request a change for 1-3 years, but I do know if circumstances change significantly then he can make a motion to have it changed. Second, if she isn't working and he is, yes, it would get worse.(unless he changes the amount of overnighters). I am kinda in the same situation but the roles are a little reversed. But Good luck!!

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 8:50 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • yea i think its absolutely ridiculous that she can basically sit on her ass all the time and be on pa and pop out babies and live on child support in the mean time hes out busting his ass and so am i and we cant even afford to buy groceries half the time. Oh but we cant be on pa we make too much.

    Answer by blondiemaker07 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Check your state guidlines...If you have an attorney ask them--they have access to state calculators that could give you a better idea.
    Child support is based on the amount of time spent w/ the child(along with other factors)---so if the mom has the kid 70% of the time her CS is going to be higher then if she had the kid 50% of the time---so like the PP said you might have to change the amount of overnight stays to help decrease the CS...If I were you I would check with my attorney--- they wont change it if its not a certain amount difference (like it shows he can reduce it by 25 but the state wont change it if its less than 50)
    Good luck---I was in a similar situation a while ago...I live in FL so your st might be different

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • yea i live in ohio. its just such a big huge haSSLE.

    Answer by blondiemaker07 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • I hear ya blondiemaker...

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Yeah, it's very difficult. And the ones that suffer, are the kids. If you're able, request more time spent(overnites). Otherwise, yes, the lazy one will get more. I know, it sucks BIG time!!! Hang in there!

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • thanks for the support. we are so broke we are living with my mom in a two bedroom duplex. And theres 6 of us. We dont have a car, and my moms is about to die. So overnights or more time spent isnt really that big of an option.

    Answer by blondiemaker07 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm sure that doesn't make things easier. I don't have the answers but to just take baby steps. Remember, love grows in small houses! You can't get any kind of living asst? Also, i know this sounds a little strange, but what about requesting child support from him, and then the amount might be reduced because he has another "child support" obligation? Just a thought!

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • yea i tried to get child support from him but since we live together we cant. Im just running out of options. I guess i better get used to being broke all the time.

    Answer by blondiemaker07 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • In MA, child support can be reviewed once a year. But yes, be prepared that his payments could go up.....or you could simply go online or to the courthouse and ask for the equations that they use to figure it out ahead of time.

    Answer by EireLass at 9:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN