My 2 year old son knows his abc, numbers 1-16 & colors my sister in law comented that I shouldn't teach him so much because he will be bored in Kindergarten , Is she just being bitchy or maybe right?? I think it's a good thing he knows these things already what do you think? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a public school teacher I wish more parents would work with their kids and be involved with the learning process.  You aren't doing anything wrong. You are teaching your son to enjoy learning and this is a lesson he will keep with him his whole life. YEAH!! we love parents like you. Keep teaching your son, as long as it is fun and you aren't pushing or forcing the learning. Oh, don't forget the imaginative, non computerized play that is also so important for learning.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Giving ur child a head start is not wrong. U have a very smart 2 yr old that loves to learn theres nothing wrong with the baby knowing his colors numbers and abcs.. thats what actual head start classes are for. the kid will love school no matter what. bc theres NEW FRIENDS its not all about learning i think shes being a bitch kinda sound jealous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If he wants to learn, let him. I have 2 sons, one that knew a lot before entering kindergarten, and one that didn't. The one that was ahead was never bored. He felt good about himself because he was able to help out his classmates. There is so much more to kindergarten than learning ABCs and 123s. My son that doesn't know these things is having a hard time now that he's actually IN kindergarten.

Both of these boys have been raised the same way, btw. The younger has never been interested in learning from me, but now that he's in school he's taken with it and is trying hard to catch up. But still, its much easier on a child, and their parent for that matter, if they are ahead when they first enter school.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• also if u dont show any intrest in learning then ur son wouldnt want to and school would be crap for him then. so SHE IS WRONG LEARNING BEGINS AT HOME 1st
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Kids learn more at a younger age if allowed. They retain that info forever. The longer you wait, they harder it could be for them in kindergarten. No they won't be bored. Teachers make it fun, other kids make it fun. Don't let jealous people stop you from teaching your 2 yr old more.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 8:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• ne he wont be bored at all, there is more to kindergarten then abc, 123 and colors. if she said was actually true then wouldnt every kid that went to preschool be bored, because they learn that stuff in preschool too.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My kids school actually requires them to know the stuff you describe when they enter kindergarten. It made me wonder what the heck we even send them to school for when they expect us to teach them all the stuff that we learned in kindergarten. Keep teaching him that stuff. One of two things will happen: they will expect him to know that stuff, and you'll be ahead of the game, or they won't expect him to know that stuff, but since he does, he'll have an easier time in kindergarten. Either way, your sister in law is wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• my dd is also 2. she know her abc,colors shapes , can count 1-20 in english and 1-10 in spanish. she has a extensive vocab that opf a 4 yr old. and every day(except for weeknds) i teach her something new. her dotor is alwyas telling me how advanced she is and if she keeps advancing so fast i shouldconsider putting her in a gifted school or at least a private school
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's actually best if kids learn things on their own. If your 2 year old somehow just picked these things up on his own then that would be fine. Why are you doing this? It puts your child at no long term educational advantage.

Your SIL is right that if you keep "teaching" your child he will be bored in school. A child bored in the early grades can be a child that always dislikes school.

There is evidence that reading too soon may be bad and that it is best for children if they figure out how to read without any instruction. If they haven't done so by age 12 then it's time for reading lessons. Of course only homeschooled children would be allowed this freedom.

One of my sons started reading at 4, one at 11, and one at 12. They are all excellent readers scoring in the 99th percentile on standardized tests. They all "taught" themselves to read. One of them only has an 80 IQ and one has a 130 IQ.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Hmm your sons learnrd to read at 11 & 12 THATS PRETTY SAD Anony dont listen to this one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2009