Why is it so hard to understand?

All the people whining about PA the past few days (months) - this is the worst recession in history. MILLIONS, not a handful, not a few exceptions, millions of people had their jobs yanked out from under them, or had their pay frozen and hours cut. At the same time, every single household expense from milk to utilities went up. As a result, daycare went up, more than subsidies cover. And gas, it's under $2.50, but 2 years ago, were you budgeting that much? People all over the country have exhausted their savings. There are no jobs. They've drained what bit was left of their 401k's, after they took the hit and lost over half their value.
If someone is on PA, they've already sold everything - you can't get it if your car is too new. They've already drained every savings acct - you can't have more than a few hundred to your name. What is wrong with your brain that you can't see it? The only reason you aren't them is luck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It really is luck. My Sister and BIL are a great example of that. They both work for a big name corp (INTEL) and next month my BIL looses his job. His project was cut, my sisters was not. Luck of the draw. He has had 4 months to try to find a job and sends out on average 10 resumes a week as well as looking for consulting jobs, and exploring other options and takeing some online classes. All of this while still working till his job runs out. They have been smart, both worked hard and are well educated. It was just bad luck his job was cut and what is left of his division is being sent overseas to a group already established over there. He didnt do anything wrong to loose his job, and i hope he can find another one in a reasonable amount of time, but I can see first hand that it was just luck as to who kept their job and who didn't.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm sorry what is the question?
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm sorry what is the question?

Why is it so hard to understand?

Was it too complicated?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Sometimes people can't see a situation that doesn't exist for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Americans are a very selfish and self absorbed people and we are just learning that it matters not if you are American, from the UK, Asia, Africa, hard times fall on everyone and we are no longer separate, we live in a global economy, if we bleed, everyone bleeds-if they bleed, we bleed. I agree with the other comment that most folks "can't see a situation that doesn't exist for them" but it's just a matter of time before it exist for us all to one degree or another. Live a simple life, care about your neighbor, be good to the elderly and have a side hustle or something you do on the side that is fun and fulfilling. Times will get better and times will get worse, those are facts of life...remember this life plan is just not in our control!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• All I know is we have always lived frugally! And since we never seem to time it so we can take advantage of government type "goodies" like Cash for Clunkers or the $8000 First time home buyer credit, we have learned to always make our own way, and to never expect handouts or things to magically land in our laps!

It's a different mind-set when you learn to always do for yourself--whatever it takes-- and to never expect something for nothing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It is not so hard to understand. I think anyone who has a job is so thankful. I think that PA should help the ones that need it the most. However, it does get frustrating at times to see ones who have lived off of PA for years. It is frustrating budgeting food shopping for my family, and watching someone on PA with a grocery cart filled with food walking to their nice looking car. I think people are just getting more frustrated because of the fact that times are tough and while yes help should be given it should be for the ones who clearly want to help themselves. Too many times this is a lifestyle for some and that is what is unfair. PA needs to be looked at more closely there are a lot of abusers of the system. I thought this was designed for temporary help, but for some it has gone beyond temporary...to permanent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's a different mind-set when you learn to always do for yourself--whatever it takes-- and to never expect something for nothing!

You really think everyone who lost their job last year doesn't know how to do for themselves? None of them worked through college and saved every penny they could?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think anyone who has a job is so thankful.

I think a lot of them aren't and that's the problem. They really believe they are entitled to their job because they believe they jumped through the right hoops and anyone who doesn't have a job is unemployed because they aren't smart enough to jump through the same hoops. They don't understand that most of the people out of work right now jumped through the same hoops they did and they only reason they are in different places is one's employer went out of business and the other's employer didn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• op, The only reason you aren't them is luck. It is not luck, is living within your means and planning for a rainy day.

Answer by older at 10:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009