wanna dig a little deeper and say how a church you don't go to helps the community?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are several churches in my community that provide social services. I am a non-Christian in a totally Christian town so I don't attend any of them, but I do see the good works many of them do. I know of two that provide free lunches & since I work half a block from one of them I can see that it is a badly needed service. Another gives away free business clothes (donated by members & nonmembers) for people who need something nice to wear to an interview or new job. Another helps women recovering from addictions (though I disapprove of the fact that they require a religious component to the recovery process). Unfortunately there are a few churches here in my town that only spread hate & offer nothing productive to the community, but I am happy to say they are very much in the minority. A little farther away there is a Wiccan coven that does a lot of community work.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• In my last home town, there was a Lutheran church that ran a soup kitchen/ food bank for the homeless. That was an awesome ministry because they never turned anyone away and provided for two meals- one that people could eat in the warmth of the church and a bag meal they could take with them to shelters. The whole thing was ran by just a few little old ladies- God bless them.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 10:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well the local CATHOLIC church has two services I can think of. One provides assistance for low income seniors and disabled adults. The other is their volunteer service which does everything from soup kitchens to home cleaning and anything in between you can think of. They run several food and clothing donation programs throughout the year as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Lots of Churches here in SC do LOTS of things for the poor and homeless. not just soup kitchen stuff but education and job training cloths drives for kids and adults and food pantry's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We have a Catholic school that provides scholarships through college

All the Christian churches work together to get the food kitchen running

the Methodist church has a clothes drive

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• www.citychurchamarillo.com

i live in oklahoma, but this is a great ministry. it serves the children on the "bad" part of amarillo, tx that other churches have forgotten. the church doesnt just do part time ministry to this area, but the whole ministry revolves around it. it is non denominational. they basically provide everything these children are lacking. the parents are either not around at all, are prostitutes, drug dealers, crack heads. the kids live on the streets or go from run down motel to run down motel. citychurch feeds 2,000 meals A DAY in the summertime, only to children/teens. they tell the kids Jesus loves them and that there is hope for them out of their lifestyle. school clothes, transportation, hygene needs, and now a private school just opened up for prek-2nd grade. its $400 a semester tuition that can be worked off by volunteering at the school. check it out.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am not sure what the name of the church is, but there is a church of christ in our town that hosts that thing where you can get a lot of groceries for $30. Well they have a reputation of never turning anyone down. If someone needs the groceries but are short a few dollars, or even are short the whole $30, they make sure those people get what they need anyways. Its an amazingly Christ like thing to do! :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The church that I attend offers counseling services, either group services for addictions or one on one with the Pastor for any reason free of charge. We have a private school for the children that is tuition-free...only a $185 fee for the entire year for books, many times the books are also paid for by the church if the parents cannot afford them. We have a food bank and provide food to many needy people. We also have a clothing bank of business clothing, as well as casual clothing to help those in need. Other churches in town that I do not attend have many similar programs. I know of churches that do free elder care during the day so that the family members are able to earn an income for their household. Many soup kitchens and pantries to help with food needs. I know of churches that will pair with you if you would like someone to pray with whether or not you attend church. Many that provide free Bibles as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009