sniking out

my 16 year old snuck out last night
what do i do?
what are some good punshemts i can give her?
how can i keep her from doing it agean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Nail the window shut and take the phone away and t.v for a week. Ask her why? Or if possible move her room to the 2nd floor.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My dad nailed the window of my sisters room he used huge nails and since the windows swung out he left 1 inch for her to open it for air. She was on restriction for about a month, honestly if it hadnt been the police who caught her out after curfew i think it would have been 2 weeks but with my parents you were screwed if someone other than them busted you they always doubled the punishment. she lost her car, driving priveliges, no school functions (she was a cheer leader so this seriously upset her).

Luckily I never got caught sneaking out guess i was smarter than my baby sister I always laugh about it becuase it was my old bedroom she was sneaking out of lol (keep in mind we laugh about it now as adults and both think about how stupid we were and the things that could have happened to us)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Don't give her anymore privacy. Take the door off her room. Nail the window shut or put in an alarm system...my parent's did that in our house so I never even had the chance to sneak out. Take her cell away if she has one and school and home is the only place she is allowed to go for a long time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My son snuck out once walked right out the door after DH and I were sleeping so I don't see the good of nailin a window shut. When DS did it we took away the next big event he wanted to do and grounded him for 2 weeks from going anywhere, tv, phone, videogames and computer.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My mom took my sister's door off too. There is nothing good going on at that time of night. Just trouble. Nip it in the bud now! Are you letting her go out like normal teens? Your not having her come home at like 9pm are you? Most kids it's around 11pm. So if she is in the normal group, that is plenty of time to spend with her friends/boyfriend and do what she needs to do before coming home. No phone, nails in the window, and no door. 2 weeks at least.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• She may be sneaking out to get some spelling books for her mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• LOL at anon :37! bwahaha
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well considering she is 16 or even any age the first thing I would do is ask WHY ARE YOU SNEAKING OUT? The goal is to get the teen to answer say they feel their curfew isn't long enough or maybe they are sexually active, or are they hanging out with a bad crowd into drugs yadda yadda. As a parent of a teen I know its extremely hard not to react when they rebel and do things we don't approve of, but as parents we will learn a lot more about WHY our teens do what they do if we learn to ask first. Giving them a chance to answer on their actions before the consequences are laid out. Perhaps negotiate, if they sneaking out cuz they want more time out, give them an additional 1/2 hour if they don't sneak or lie.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• maybe I'd go ahead and ask why and think about renegotiating curfew etc. BUT they still broke a rule and put themselves in danger. That carries consequences period and for sneaking out .... MAJOR ones.
    No phone, no computer, loss of privacy etc.
    They need to earn back your trust and THEN you think about renegotating.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009