When should I stop breastfeeding?

I know there is no real answer and it's all circumstancial (if I keep my supply and if he still nurses well) but when is an appropriate time to stop? Once he gets teeth I dont know how i'd do it.. does it hurt? And if I do keep my supply can I just keep pumping when he gets teeth? He's only 11 weeks old right now and chugging right along on the boob train (he's almost 15 and a half lbs!) I just wanted to get some other breastfeeding mom's advice/experiences. Thanks mamas!

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I nursed my daughter until she self weaned at 24 months. I thought it would be weird because I've always been raised that babies should be weaned at 12 months but when 12 months came I was like "but she's still a baby" and then 18 months came and it felt completely natural.

Then she self weaned at 24 months and it was actually sad for me that our BF relationship was over.

Our society teaches that BF is taboo and that BF past a certain amount of time is taboo but the facts are on your side. There are SO many benefits to breastfeeding past 1 year for both you and baby. It's a short time in their lives and it's something only you can do for your child.

People's opinions on when to quit are just that...OPINIONS...You have FACTS on your side when it comes to FULL TERM BREASTFEEDING!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 week old son and I'm right where you are! Haha he's chugging along as well! I know the WHO suggests breastfeeding to at least the age of 2 but that is too old in my opinion. I'm not sure when I'll stop or when my son will be ready to stop but once a child can eat only solid foods, its definitely time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I did it till jus before my younger two childrens 3rd birthday's, when they get teeth the only time it ever hurt me was when my son fell asleep it only happened a couple of times, never happened with my daughter.

You do it until you want to stop or baby wants to stop, do whats comfortable for you. No one will know the right answer but you and you wont know that answer till it is time to stop. I never knew how long i would do it my goal was the first year and twice i went 3 times longer.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• When either you want to stop or your baby decides to stop. Whichever comes first.

My son has six razor sharp teeth and I still nurse. Of course he hasn't bit me since he got in the top four and only twice with just the bottom two. If he chomped down on me right now that might be the permanent end to my nursing career, lol.

We just made it to the year mark, so I've reached my initial goal. Now I'm shooting for another six months.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Children should be exclusively breastfed the first 6 months and at least 2 years according to the World Health Organization. For maximum facial and jaw development you want to breastfeed at least 3 years (avoid braces).

It doesn't hurt when they are actively nursing with teeth. The baby can need to learn not to bite. Sometimes a baby will bite in their sleep but the bite is like a pinch.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's up to you. teething wasn't a big issue for me for either of my 2 breast-feeders, but it depends on the baby. I prefer basically to let them wean on their own, my middle son nursed until he was 8 1/2 months (we were supplementing due to my working at the time) and my dd is still nursing at 18 months. I thought over a year was too old when I first started, but if you're going right along and just continue after a year it's really not much different and not a big deal. She's been slowing down lately so she may be getting ready to stop soon, we'll see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I only did six months with my daughter, but that's only because I was a full time college student and couldn't arrange my classes to get back to the daycare and nurse. With my next baby I plan to breastfeed for a year.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:35 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months. I worked fulltime and pumped at work 2-3 times a day.

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teeth really aren't a big issue. Try to go for at least 12 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teeth aren't an issue. If they were, there would be no people on the planet today. There once was a time that formula was never and option and all people had to feed babies was breastmilk. Babies get teeth well before a year old, so many of our female ancestors fed their babies after they got teeth without any problems. Sometimes they bite. Just firmly say "no biting" and stop the feeding session (if they are still hungry then start back in about 15 minutes). This usually solves the problem pretty fast.

I weaned my first baby at 18 months and that worked really well for us. By that time, baby has started eating enough table food and getting involved with playing, etc. that they don't miss BFing. A year old felt way too young to wean for me because my babies just aren't eating enough table food at that time to do away with BFing completely.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009