how old when you start using time out?

how old were your lo's when you started using time out? what was your method. i know 1 minute per year, but how did you do the first few before they got it. my son is 10 months, and im not looking to do any now, but i know its not too far away. hes already getting a temper on him when he doesn't get his way. thanks in advance :)

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 11:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never. Time outs are a forms of punishment and punishment doesn't teach good behavior. I used authoritative parenting and avoided authoritarian parenting and punishments like times outs, grounding, and taking things away.

You can find out more about authoritative parenting by going to google. A good first parenting book is Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I call it "standing in the corner". 4 or 5 I started doing it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i started at 2
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i started using time outs at two. i also work in a daycare setting you just need to remember the time rule 1 minut for each year they are up till age five. I have found this quite efective and as they get older say 3-5 or older you can also do the comply rule 1 minut if the do as you say right away and if they cry and have a fit then do their age
    dragontears582

Answer by dragontears582 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• With my son he was 2, my daughter is 16 months and she goes in timeout when she get's into things after being told not to 3 times. I just put them in timeout and tell them what they did wrong and how long they have to stay there. I usually have to put them back a couple times but they get it eventually.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009