A very attached son?

If I even turn my head away from him or if I just walk out of the room he starts to scream until he sweats. It's horrible and I feel that I am smothered. I have a two year old daughter and she just watches. What am I doing wrong? He is nine months and he still won't sleep throughout the night. I have to get up at least three times every night. I don't hold him all day but he is in every room I'm in. What do I do to stop this crazyness. Even the doctors have told me that he should be sleeping throughout the night. If I put him down after he's been held he gives a complete tantrum. When were in public if I don't hold him everyone will start looking cause he has a horrible scream. Please help!!

Keturah747

Asked by Keturah747 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby is normal and the doctors don't know what they are talking about. Some kids don't sleep through the night until they are 3 and it's still normal. Most 9 month olds still nurse several times at night. My 12 month old grandson nurses several times during the night.

You can get a baby sling or carrier to carry your baby around in.

Babies aren't supposed to sleep like rock through the night. They are supposed to wake up easy and wake several times to nurse. It is a survival mechanism. Human babies are also designed to sleep next to their mothers. When they do so the mother and baby pheromones can communicate and the mother and baby sleep cycles get in sync.

For more info go to google and type in rethinking healthy infant sleep. You can find out more about what's normal in babies at www.kelllymom.com or the La Leche League website. Mothering Magazine has a good site and discussion boards.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Separation anxiety, it happens to a lot of us mom, he will outgrow it soon enough, for now enjoy your super powers, because before you know it he won't want anything to do with you. You have also reinforced his behaviour, he knows that if he cries you will come to the rescue. I don't beleive in the cry out method, but in your case it might just work.

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The ladies are right. There is no guarentee that your child will/should sleep through the night by a certain age. Some babies sleep through the night from the day they are born, and others don't until they are much much older. Each baby is different and there is no "norm" for sleeping through the night...it is just one of those things that is so inconsistent from each baby to baby. As for the screaming when you leave the room, it's probably just your everyday, run of the mill, seperation anxiety. I've heard it usually happens around that age.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009