Bye bye pacifier?

My DD is six months old and she does not really use her pacifier only when she is really tired. Should I take it from all the time to just naptime and bedtime?

I want her off of it by a year anyway.
What do you think?

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 12:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took ours away at 5 mos. It was a week of torture for all of us and now we are 15 mos and non paci dependent. If you feel that she no longer needs one then take it away. But make sure to substitution with something that she can become attached to like a lovey. I wish you luck. Remember that when you take it away and give in and give it back, you have just set yourself up for disaster in the future. Be strong when you make the decision.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you can do it now. with my DD she would not give that paci up and she was 2 years old and finally one day I cut of the nipples and gave it back to her and she couldnt hold it in her mouth and was one pissed off lil girl for about a week then just got over it, my newborn son I wont even give him one, I am not goin through that again.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• the pacifier is most important in protecting against SIDS (believe it or not). So yes, now that she is a bit older i would only give it to her at sleeping times.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Babies and toddlers have sucking needs that are supposed to be met at the breast. When a baby nurses they spend hours every day sucking and even toddlers can spend a lot of time sucking. If you aren't going to breastfeed then I think you sould allow the child to have a pacifier to meet the sucking needs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• my little one always only got her pacy when she went down for naps or to bed.she is 16months and still has hers at night. i just weaned her this week,so one change at a time for us
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thank you for your answers. I want it gone by a year so it is fine with me.

Gailll- I don't breast feed and she doesn't want the pacifier anyway so why keep it? It doesn't make any sense.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 12:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009