Do all Christains belive in Armageddon?

I’m asking because my grandfather is a minister twice retired of a Methodist church. Well actually it’s a Baptist, Methodist and Protestant church. Well anyways I was talking to him and I started talking about the book of Mathew as it’s my fav. Anyways we got talking about Armageddon. And he basically said he does not teach the congregation about it.... I was shocked. He said it may scare the people away and he goes to theses big meetings where all ministers and people go and they agreed not to focus on that. So I thought that was odd. He himself even said he was not so sure of it anyways. Well his exact words were “wishy washy” … I just thought as a minister it was your job to preach about what Jesus taught. He often talked about it. Huh…any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since we don't know when it will happen, to focus on it instead of other things is counter productive. We do need to focus on the here and now. How we can better ourselves for our own endtimes which will come much faster then the worlds.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OP here. I just think they should at least know about it. What happens after it. And why it is going to happen. Its very important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Rev. 16:14: “They go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty.”

Rev. 19:19: “I saw the wild beast [human political rulership as a whole] and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage the war with the one seated on the horse and with his army.”

Dan. 2:44: “The God of heaven will set up a kingdom . . . It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.”

Jer. 25:33: “Those slain by Jehovah will certainly come to be in that day from one end of the earth clear to the other end of the earth.”
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 12:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree with you both. There's no sense concentrating only on Armageddon since we don't know when it's going to happen and we can't do a thing to stop it once it is time for it. So yes, the more important thing for us to do is concentrate more on how we are living our lives now and whether or not we are prepared for our own end, as oldermom said. I do think it's important to know about it though, as you say OP so people know what's going to happen and why, so IMO it shouldn't be a topic that is completely avoided either.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• That's just it. What we need to know is the Father is loving. That he does get disappointed in us at time because of what we do and what we fail to do. It's more about love of the Trinity and our brothers and sisters. To scare people into believing is not a loving way. Christ focused on how we should treat others better. Not the end.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes in my congregation we are taught about it. We actually look forward to it because we know that after Armageddon we will live here on a paradise earth just as Adam and eve did before they had sinned. Back to Gods original purpose. We know the conditions on earth at that time will be far better than now.

Proverbs 12:7, 28 says: “There is an overthrowing of the wicked ones and they are no more, but the very house of the righteous ones will keep standing. In the path of righteousness there is life, and the journey in its pathway means no death.”

Revelation 21:4, which says: “He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be any more. The former things have passed away.” It is also given in the book of Isaiah: “He will actually swallow up death forever, and the Lord Jehovah will certainly wipe the tears from all faces.”—Isa. 25:8.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 12:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• John 5:28, 28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

The thought of seeing all my dead loved ones again makes me so happy.
    BabayBella

• babybella that's heaven. This will happen when you pass. You are speaking of what happens to us all when we are near the Father. The teaching of the end times and Relelations should be left to Bible study with Scholars that studied it and Fathers of the Church teachings. It's really not for Sunday sermons, Where those who really don't understand will get half the message and mess up the other half. This where Questioning to understand comes in.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• oldermomof5... Nope that’s what will happen. There are plenty of people worldwide that think this way also…. just not you. I believe that only 144,000. Will go to heaven so yes the rest will be resurrected here on earth.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• New heavens and new earth. The connection of the “heavens” with ruling power aids in understanding the meaning of the expression “new heavens and a new earth” found at Isaiah 65:17; 66:22 and quoted by the apostle Peter at 2 Peter 3:13. Observing such relationship, M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopaedia (1891, Vol. IV, p. 122) comments: “In Isa. lxv, 17, a new heaven and a new earth signify a new government, new kingdom, new people.”

BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009