Why is my daughter deathly afraid of our vacuum?

Since birth, I have to do it when shes sleeping, and hope that she doesn't wake up... She is 16 months old now...Anyone else have this problem? I have tried letting her play with the vacuum, and she just touches it a little and I have to be holding her. I have tried just doing it, (tough it out)... she screams bloody murder and shakes... I gave up on that quickly. Don't need to traumatize her. Any advice?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 12:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd used to be scared of ours too... probally b/c it's lound & they see it sucking up fuzz balls so maybe they think it will suck them up? i used to hold her and vacuum GL lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I had the same problem. It got so bad that it took two of us to vacuum. I would hold DS and DH would vacuum. At between 18mo and 2 years he started to get curious about it, still scared, I still had to be right there, but we slowly moved towards it. The turning point for us is when it was running and he put his hand right in front of it and daddy tickled his fingers by just moving over them a little bit with the front of the vacuum. We did it at his pace and it worked. And if you reach that point, make sure her hand is face down on the floor so she cannot reach up in to the brush and get her finger squished.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am scared of the vacuum too! It's loud, it's clumsy and I hate doing it! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• because its a foreigh sound to them,anytime my kid was scared of anything i would just get him closer and have him touch it,my friends lil girl was terrified of the the sound the trash man made with his truck,so one day when my kid woke up wondering what it was my hubby myself and my son ran outside and told him "look see its a garbage truck,he picks up trash" the trash man looked at us as if we were the crazy family,but hey he never asked again he just knew when he heard the sound.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes she is scared! I find it funny though. Daddy chases her around the living room making loud noises while the vacuum is on. We have had this issue for many many months. I hope it gets better soon. I have been waiting for my mom to take her during the week and then we vacuum.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My daughter used to be TERRIFIED of the vacuum. She's over it now. Don't worry, it's completely normal. If I vacuumed when she was around, I would always make sure I vacuumed away from her and never towards her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Max is kinda scared of the vacuum. Worse though is those huge exercise balls. He is freaked out by them. When we go to the doctor they have tosein some of the rooms and I always have to put it in the hallway. It goes rolling away sometimes.
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009