using a spoon

how do you teach a child to self feed with a spoon? my son can feed himself find with his hands. i try to teach him to use the spoon and hes not interested because it takes too long i think. what age did you teach your lo to use the spoon and what method did you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i tought her just like we use it,i always put a spork with her plate when she eats, she tries to use the spork everytime but gives up. just offer him a spoon every time he eats
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I started by giving him a spoon to play with before I actually got the food there. He could happly beat on his tray till food arrived. I just kept giving him one and eventually he decided he liked it enough to use it himself and we took turns for a while. Eventually I gave him the food with a spoon, ate my own food, then helped him with whatever was left.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My 15 mo is proficient at getting the spoon in her mouth in the correct position every time, so I decided to put the food on it and let her do it herself. She can't get the food on it yet but she gets it in her mouth. Just keep trying and he will figure it out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i started with a fork. they think it is fun to poke the food and it teaches them in one try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have the same question, but I think it's because she's not right handed as we first thought.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009