Do you think that parents of teens should encourage their children to work pt?

Should parents encourage their high school Juniors and Seniors to work weekends during the school year to pay for their extras or is it the parents responsibility to provide those things for their children? Are the parents really trying to teach their children to be responsible or are they shirking their responsibilities to provide for their teens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Absolutely, I think it starts preparing them for "the real world" & it teaches them responsibility & money management skills.
    Sweetness615

Answer by Sweetness615 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Being I was not allowed to work,my father was the breadwinner, thats the way it was, I was not to infringe on his standing in the family, except at Christmas, for money for Christmas presents (interesting standard, huh?) I know I was at a slight disadvantage when I went to college and was trying to get internships and such. My first summer back I had a horrible time finding a job because I didn't have an internship. My second went better, but I was working fast food. For a few years it was really an issue because I didn't have those references but now it doesn't make a difference at all. However, I knew very few people who both had a job and went to HS that did really well in hs classes, which I had to do to get into college (I messed up my first year in HS, not realizing what it would mean when I started filling out apps, so had to end well to be able to get in).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think high school students in school full time should be encouraged to be active in school activities, scouts, and volunteer organizations.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think it depends on too many factors to have just one answer. We make enough money to help our kids out with the extras. This summer (I have a freshman) she will be doing volunteer work somewhere that suits her intersts. This is a good way to determain where she wants to focus her studies and looks good on a college application. I would NOT have her work if she had the opportunity to gain somthing for her future. There is much to be learned in volunteerism.... the same resposiblity as there is in working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think when teens work jobs and in the real world it puts them in adult situations all too often. They get exposed to drinking, drugs, sex, and other adult environments.

I think it's much better to teach teens responsibility through chores...being a part of what makes a family work. You can also allow your daughters to babysit and sons to mow lawns.

I agree with Gailll that high school kids should be encouraged to participate in high school activities. A teen that is involved with school is far less likely to get in trouble than a teen who's working outside the home.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My kids wanted to work. The rule was only if it didn't have a negative impact on anything school related. I still payed for all their stuff.....except a car. If they wanted a car while in school, they had to pay for that. They didn't need one, that was considered extra and not my expense.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• This isn't a yes or no question to me. It really depends on many factors. First of all what is an extra? I won't expect my kids to work to pay for their fees to play football, but I will expect them to help pay for a car (and then pay for their own gas, maintenance, ins, etc). Secondly, do they have time. If my child is attending high school full time, participating in sports which require practices after school, games, tourneys on weekends - where does time for a job fit in?

I will encourage my kids to be active outside of school and home though. So whether that means through sports or other school clubs/activities, volunteer time, or a job wiill depend on the child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My teens (who are both seniors) play football & run track & I have one who is involved in drama as well. They also work on the weekends which is always Sunday and then Saturdays if they don't have anything going on (my one son tuns cross country track so occasionally he has track meets on Saturdays and then they both took the Sat. of Homecoming off). They work 8-16 hours a week during the school year and 20-32 hours a week during holidays from school. They pay for their own cell phones, car insurance and to put gas in their cars. They have been working for 15 mos. at the same place. They are both great students (straight A's for one and A's/B's for the other), have time to spend with friends and are involved in sports and community activities (as volunteers). They're well rounded and have learned to value what they have because they pay for it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 16 and works weekends at Tim Hortons.  I see nothing wrong with it.  It is teaching her some valuable life lessons and it is an excellent introduction to the working world.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• think when teens work jobs and in the real world it puts them in adult situations all too often. They get exposed to drinking, drugs, sex, and other adult environments.

I think that for most teens they are already exposed to those things at SCHOOL. My teens are cahsiers at a grocery store and they go to work, they do their job and they come home. There's no sex, drugs or drinking at their job. Now, at school, however, they knows who is doing what, drinking what and doing who. Having a job isn't exposing them to any more than they get exposed to at school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009