With the economy the way it is, should teens be allowed to work?

Should teens who are working just to pay their car insurance, cell phone bill and to buy designer clothes be allowed to take jobs from thosse who actually NEED them to pay their rent/mortgage, buy food, pay utility bills, etc.? Should their parents be sympathetic to the economy and encourage their teens to not take jobs from those who actually need them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was a fast food manager in college. Adults that apply fall into three categorys. People who are out of luck and desperate- these can be great workers, but the min something better comes along, they are gone. I also found that they tend to be very condescending and are hard to get respect from if your the manager because they have more experience and therefor know better than you. I personally didn't really like working with them. The lifers- the ones that cant get a better job and are there for years and years. Rarely a problem as they really don't care about anything but getting off at the end of their shift. The third group is those who have issues and never work anywhere for more than a few months- pretty self explanatory. Teens were better workers and easier to train/work with than any of these groups. They want to build a reference base and work better for it. In that job market, give me teens any day of the week.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i would have normally have said yes but since they arent the ones paying bills most of the time but rather blowing it,give the people in actual need take the jobs.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why tell a teen to not work when adults dont want to take those jobs anyways,
    Adlts dont want to work at mcdonalds sicne they dont want it then let the kids have some job experiance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teens may have to work to help pay rent, buy food, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have to say that never would have occured to me. If two people go in to apply for a job and it goes to the teen over the adult applicant... there is a reason. There is nothing stopping adults from appling to these jobs.

Looking for a job is a full time job. If an adult gets laid off that is sad.. but that doesnt mean anyone else should have to give up their job for that adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• oh i think everyone that was picky about those jobs are now desperite so i think they would take just about anything.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teens should work. Some are saving for college, helping their family get by, even being a parent themself.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Not all teens are just working to pay for their cell or car ins. Many are helping out their families, but even if they are not, most adults don't want to do the jobs teens are doing. Don't you think a company/organization would rather hire an adult who would seemingly be more stable an employee than a teen (who like you said doesn't need the job for necessities of life)? Yet teens are still being hired because they are the ones applying for the jobs. I would rather see a teen who wants to work, working than then not being allowed to find employment, and then having to deal with the adult who feels that they are too good for the work they are doing.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think it depends on the teens. I mean my husband needs a job and so do some of my friends because they need to support their children. Like i said it depends on the teen.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 1:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Those aren't the teens I am talking about. I am talking about the teens who are only working to pay their cell phone bills, to pay their car insurance and to put gas in their car and to buy pricey clothes and shoes. I am not talking about the ones who are working and contributing to the household. My neighbors teen works 20+ hours a week and all she pays for are her cell phone bill, her car insurance/gas and to buy deisgner clothes and shoes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009