Does fifth disease ever affect just one cheek?

My son hasn't been feeling well the past couple of weeks, but it comes and goes. He's two. Today, he woke up with a bright red cheek, and it has not gone away. He seems to be feeling fine this morning, and he won't let me get a real good look at it. He has a history of eczema, but it doesn't look like any eczema he's ever had. I looked at pics of fifth disease, and some look just like his cheek, but others don't. It is bright red, and from what I can tell, it's not raised or anything. It looks like the skin could be a little dry, but he won't stay still long enough for me to look at it. Any suggestions?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I had 5th disease as a grown adult. I was a teacher and caught it from a student. Some times 5th disease doesn't even appear in the cheeks. Get a very warm wash cloth (not hot) and place it on the small of his back until the cloth cools off. When you lift it, if you see a lacey looking purplish pattern, then he has 5th disease and it will have to run its course. If there is no lacey looking pattern or rash, you may want to keep a close watch on him and contact his doctor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• my son had fifths disease and he started out with the bright red cheeks, watch it for a few days and see if it spreads, if it does he probably has it, and there is no treatment, it just goes away on it's own. and if it itches, you can use oatmeal bath and calamine lotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thank you for your answers. His rash was gone this morning, and I never treated it. I have no idea what it was, but no fifth disease here!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2009