Do Jehova Witnesses and LDS or Mormans go house to house for the same reasons?

What are the reasons and are they the same? I don’t care that they do go door to door because they are doing just what Jesus did. So this is not a post to let people know how much it/they annoy you. I feel bad for both groups always being picked on just like Jesus was. Anyways is there anyone who actually knows why? Not what you have heard or think you know you actually know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe, and I am not 100% sure on this that LDS have to do it for a certain amount of time on mission before the men become full members of the church. I have an LDS friend who told me to put them to work when they come to my door, they are supposed to be out not just preaching to the community but also helping them. JW's do it because thats the way Jesus told his followers to do it in the bible and the JW's are supposed to do x amount each year to continue to be part of the congregation (thats just what I have read, I could be wrong about that part too).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Actually Jesus did not go door to door... he went city to city and people came to HIM and he preached THEN healed.... big difference between Him and the LDS, Mormons and JW's
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The LDS church does it because we are told to spread the message. We have young adults who go on missions, but its not required like the prev. poster said. Neither my hubby or I went on one & we are members of the church (there is no such thing as a "full" member - you get baptised and you are a member). Men can go any time after they turn 19 if they are worthy (meaning if they are drinking, stealing, lying, etc. they would need to repent first). Women can go after age 21. Also older couples go as well. Its not required, but its a great way to spread the message, provide service, &a great learning experience. Individual members of the church are also taught to spread the message, but we usually dont go out & knock on doors. We try to act as examples of the church to all we meet. I have been asked so many times why I act the way I do (I don't drink, cuss, I stay at home with my daughter etc) & I can then share my beliefs
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I go door to door with JWs and this is taken from a book we use...as to why we preach....
    Jesus foretold for our day this work: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” He also instructed his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.”—Matt. 24:14; 28:19.

When Jesus sent out his early disciples, he directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matt. 10:7, 11-13) The apostle Paul said regarding his ministry: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”—Acts 20:20, 21; see also Acts 5:42.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Oh I also wanted to add... That there is no such thing as a "full" member - you get baptised and you are a member. That you are not required to put a particular number of hours in each year. You preach when you can. It is required that you preach to be baptised. Just wanted to clear those few things up.

BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Shaneagle777
    Actually Jesus did not go door to door... he went city to city and people came to HIM and he preached THEN healed.... big difference between Him and the LDS, Mormons and JW's

Even though I agree with you, I want to ask you the same questions that you have asked me many times. Here are the questions: What does it matter what you believe? Are you showing God's love and grace? What is your point?
    Now do you get a better idea of how wrong you are when you ask others that question? Oh and how about I say to you this too (like you've said to me many times)...... "You sound hateful, where is your love?" Do you understand more now Shannon? Speaking the truth is right. And it's not suppose to be something just you get to do. So please stop falsely judging me and trying to stop me when I speak the truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• They each want to share THEIR version of religion and THEIR interpretation of the Bible and the Book Of Mormon. They want you to believeTHEM and join their church. I believe it is none of their business!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses preach from house to house?
    When Jesus sent out his disciples, he directed them to go to people's homes (Matt. 10:7, 11-13). The apostle Paul said regarding his ministry: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”(Acts 20:20, 21) & "And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus." (Acts 5:42).
    Jesus foretold for our day a wolrdwide preaching work: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” He also instructed his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.”—Matt. 24:14; 28:19.
    Hope this helps. xxx
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 2:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Good passages Mamkind. But many people are persauded to believe in the JW's and the LDS because the disciples went door to door. Both those religions are false. Just because a religion goes door to door, that doesn't make what they say true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Luckily, just because an anon says a religion is false, that does not mean they are
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009