Now What? Her fever won't go down.

So I got diagnosed with swine flu. Yesterday my husband took our 7 month old and 2 year old to the ped to get them looked at- she didn't even bother testing them for the flu! "they don't have enough symptoms" Was her reasoning, both had coughs and runny noses same as I started out. Well last night both hit fevers of 102 and the baby wasn't breathing well at all. Hubby takes her to er they say its a virus go home. She woke up this morning- definitely has croup. Anyway my 2 year olds fever is 102 2 hours AFTER a full dose of ibuprofen. I know what will happen if we take her in, what happens anytime- its a virus go home. She has had a cool bath cool compresses and her fever won't go down! I don't know what to do!!! Please help! She is also coughing, glassy eyed, sleepy and has a runny nose.

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 2 year old daughter once had a fever of 107.2 that the doctor wasn't concerned with, but only because it DID respond to cool compresses and Motrin. It would only drop to around 105, but my pediatrician said that if a fever responds to reducers that's a good thing...he says he a fever does NOT respond to reducers then that's an emergency.

When you went to the ER and the doctor said "virus" did you clearly tell him that you had a diagnosed case of the swine flu? If your kids have been sick less than 48 hours, you need to demand Tamiflu for them. (I'm not sure if your baby is old enough, but think they give it at 6 months and up?). Also, the doctor needs to know that your child's fever is NOT responding to fever reducers. My pediatrician says that's very important to know and is very serious.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• They were told- their ped is a joke we are going to be switching drs. Ok that is good to know. I am going to let my husband know. I cannot go anywhere because of the swine flu. and it has been less than 48 hours if they can get it today thats why i was so aggravated that the ped didnt even test them yesterday! gaaah Anyway thank you!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Fever is good. It is the body's natural defense. Viruses grow best at around body temp. The body increases it's temp to slow or stop viral growth. If you give something for the fever it can prolong the illness.

Let's hope you are breastfeeding the 7 month old. If not you need to watch for signs of dehydration and find out what to do. You could pump milk and give it to your 2 year old if she is no longer nursing.

You have to be over 1 for Tamiflu. It could be given to your 2 year old and husband as a preventative since you have been diagnosed. See the Tamiflu website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• take them back to the er and say u want them tested for swine,becouse if anything happns to them and they didnt test u will sue.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• They are starting to restrict who they prescribe Tamiflu. At least down here they are. Unless you have asthma, or an immune deficiency, or live with someone who has one of those, they aren't prescribing it. All 3 of my kids just went through it, and it sucked. We had to do the whole Motrin and tylenol alternating them thing. And our regular clinic has stopped even testing for H1N3 because there are so many cases of it. Our county has the highest number of cases in the country according to an article we read this weekend. Good luck.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• ive been in the er 3 times in the last 2 weeks with my dd with what i thought were high fevers an dthe speal i get is 102 fever is nothing to worry about in childeren as long as they r drinking and keeping it down they r fine if they havent peed at least 3 times in one day than bring them in for iv they could be dehydrated to check for dehydration gentle pinck the back of their hand and if the skin doesnt fold back down imeditly and it stays pinched ur child is dehydrated signs of swin fluse exstreamly high fever 103 or greater, projectial vomiting, exsessive sweating, not being able to keep any thing down or in, and alot of wheezing to medicate piggy back tyenol and motrin this said give tyenol and than 2 hrs later give motrin and than 2 hrs later give tyenol again as long as the doses of tyenol r 4 hrs apart u can give it its the same with motrin as long as the motrin doeses r 4 hrs apart u can give it cont
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• dont be like me and think well i gave tyenol i have to wait 4 hr for motrin...no u do not have to do that so i have learnd...as far as testing for the swine flu i was told they wont test just anyone unless they have all the signs b/c the test is exstreamly exspensive and its done by a nasal swab trust me i demanded on for my dd the last time we were inthe er...ther eis like2-3 strains of flu hitting people my poor dd keeps picking up a different strain thats y shes haveing a hard time trust me friday nite her fever got to 102.9 and she was doubling over in pain and i got the same speel again..people who r dying from the flu and swine flu r people who rnt healthy to begin with, people with supressed immune systems i know im a over caustouse mommy when my dd temps hit over 101 i run her to the drs
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Alternate tylenol & motrin every 4 hours until the fever breaks. If it gets worse take her back to the ER and tell them you have swine flu.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• posted in another question about swine flu-

We went and got tested because we didn't know what we had. It was worthless for us to pay to see a doctor. I would stay home and treat your child unless they get much worse. Use Motrin, Tylenol, Mucinex, Powerade, Chicken noodle soup, etc... Hope they feel better soon.

Also, our symptoms were tiredness, headaches, achy, fever, sore throat, loss of appetite, sneezing, chest congestion, cough, diarrhea, and nausea. All over the course of a week-10 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• a fever of 102 is not anything to worry about. If its the swine flu, its the swine flu. There really is no reason to need to test for it, even with symptoms. It will pass... keep them hydrated, food doesnt matter at this point, and keep there fever down (102 is not that high at all) and it will pass
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009