My baby is miserable, is there anything other than baby tylenol/motrin I can give him?

He is 13 months. He is absolutely miserable with a cold, that will probably turn into a sinus infection. Could I call the doctor and see if I could give him half a dose of the cold medicine that is for 2-6 yr olds? Would they just yell at me, or laugh in my face if I asked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im in nursing school and i have some really good advice for you. They took infant cold medicines off the shelf due to parents abusing them. You can call your doctor and they can write you a prescription for cold medicine and they will or you can go to fred meyer grociery store or a store that carries organic natural foods.. in the isle where they have herbals and teas and vitamins they actually have medicine .. i use cold medicine on my 1 year old and it works AMAZING and its all natural and it helps her sleep through the night. They have meds for just running nose or just cough or both they even have flu, upset tummy, bed wetting tablets, teething tablets.. everything you could think of.. i promise you they work and they work well.. they have stuff in the medicine like chamomile and lavendar and it helps put your baby to sleep NATURALLY instead of taking cold medicines over the counter thats filled with drugs. good luck!!!
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• First I would try sitting in the bathroom with him while a hot shower is running. The steam can help to loosen things up a bit. Also, try boiling a pot of water and put a piece of foil over the pan to direct the steam into the house. (keep an eye on the pan because you will have to add water frequently). Push fluids and just do your best to keep him calm so he doesn't fuss and worsen his congestion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• He is probably too young for a sinus infection. Ear infection yes. Cold medicine not a good idea this young. I agree with the shower idea. You can even get in the shower - in swimsuit or T-shirt if nudity is a problem for you.

He may like juice pops.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Try some vicks to help get rid of any congestion, and to soothe him. You can just rub it on his tummy. Warm baths should also help relieve him some. Good luck!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• he already had a sinus infection when he was 6 months old, I am already doing the showers and vicks and I have a vaporizer in his room. He is still miserable, that's why I was asking about the medicine.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• also try using vicks baby rub
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My son is 16 months old and he has been getting the flu constantly lately and my doc said DO NOT give him any cold medicines that they arent for his age and they can be bad for him so I wouldn't if I were you. My doc did tell me to use childrens tylenol instead of infants and childrens motrin and I had to switch off so motrin then tylenol every three hours, but make sure you never do the tylenol twice in a row because it can affect the liver if they overdose on tylenol.
    Sammisweets

Answer by Sammisweets at 3:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009