HELP! My apple tree is burying my backyard.

I don't want to waste these apples but I am not really sure how to save them. I need advice on processing, packaging and preserving them. They are Gala apples if that has any bearing. I love baking pies and such, but there are thousands of them! Any ideas here?

mygirlscome1st

Asked by mygirlscome1st at 1:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Apples can be readily kept in storage for 3 or 4 months & sometimes longer depending on the variety. To store, you will need some newspapers and a box or basket. You want to prevent contact b/t apples in storage by wrapping each individual apple in its own sheet of newspaper, then put them in the box or basket and store them some place cool & dark, but where they won't freeze.

The reason for wrapping them in the newspapers is so that if one spoils, it won't spoil all the others. Also, b/f wrapping them up (& they need not be wrapped tight, just enough to keep them from touching each other), check for cuts, bruises & soft spots. If any are damaged in the slightest, use those up first & don't store them or they'll spoil the good apples. Also, when wrapping in the newspaper, don't use the colored papers b/c those inks are toxic and don't store apples near potatoes b/c potatoes leave off a gas that will spoil your apples.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Galas are more of an eating apple but they will do for multi-purpose use. Sort over the apples for ones with no bruising and those will store in a cool dry place. You can use the others for applesauce or cider, jams or jellies, pies, apple dumplings, baked apples......
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you can't eat them all then share them!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Yes, been doing that too.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 2:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would cook and freeze them.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Include them in many of your recipes. I love apples in a tossed salad with walnuts and dried cranberries and a raspberry vinaigrette. Make caramel apples and have a fall/Halloween party (make sure every guest gets one or takes one home as a favor). Make freezer jam to keep and to give (Google recipes). Make stewed apples to serve with breakfast or with fried chicken. Make apple stuffing for a chicken. I've seen some pork recipes that call for apples or applesauce that sound really good. Make apple pies and give them as gifts. I'm going to be making a Jewish apple cake for an out of town guest next week. I've never made one before but it is his favorite. Do you know anyone who has a dehydrator? If so, ask to borrow it. Make apple chips and give them some when you return it to them!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009