I need help! My 2.5 yr old is going through a TERRIBLE PHASE where he will smack me if he doesnt get his way! He thinks it is funny too.. I have tried everything short of spanking him (which i wont do) any adivce?

He has a baby brother coming in a couple weeks and i really need this to STOP!

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont know how to help, while i dont believe in spanking for every little thing this i believe is one i would,its ok for him smack you??? why is that? my husband told my son one day when he hit me "do i hit your mom? no i dont! how dare you lay a hand on my wife!" he got a spanking and guess what problem solved,while you may say thats teaching him to hit its actually not,its teaching him when he crosses the line he will be corrected.does my son gets spanked for evrything heck no,it only when he has crosses the line and like i said this is one of them.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yeah, spank his ass. That's something you haven't tried before. He's out of control... that's what happens when parents let the kids have their way. You are an adult... act like one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I make my kids hit themselves. If they hit anyone I say in a loud voice, "hit yourself". The first few times I held their arm and helped them hit themselves. Now if they hit and I tell them that they hit themselves and stop hitting others. It works for biting and pinching too.
    I know it sounds weird, but it works. I was at my wits end when my then 2.5 year old was biting me. As soon as he had to bite himself, he quit biting. I think it works because he gets to feel the pain he is inflicting upon others and since he has to do it to himself, he can not blame me for it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I acted all upset and made daddy kiss my boo-boo, cried, ect. DS got the point that it hurt. We also found a squirt of water in the face (just like you do the cat) is usually a great ender to tantrums (which is when DS occasionally hits someone/something). he may still cry, but the water in his face stops the full blown tantrum in its tracks.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009