If you worship/believe in the Goddess . . . I have a question : )

I have been reading this book and it is really really good. But I have a question for you guys:

If you are pagan or wiccan or you have a belief in the Goddess, can you tell me what you believe about her? What is her name, that you know her by? Does she have other names to other people?

Any information you can give me can help me process how what I am reading about relates to modern beliefs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 1:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My matron Goddess, for now, is Cerridwen. She's kind of called to me for a while, now. Shes the one that you see in pictures stirring the cauldron of knowledge. She's a Welsh crone Goddess. I've heard variations on her story, but basically: she had two children. One was beautiful, the other hideous. She was brewing knowledge for the ugly child and trusted someone else to stir it for a while (it had to be stirred for a year and a day, where the traditional year and a day of study came from). It was almost done and some of it splashed onto the person stirring and they licked it off, without thinking. Then, all the knowledge that Cerridwen had been brewing for her child was lost and given to this person. He ran from her, changing forms, as she chased him doing the same. Some stories say that she caught them and ate them, others are different.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I do not believe there is just one goddess, I believe there are many. I do believe that all goddesses are manifested from "female" energy, which varies by culture as the names & faces of the goddess do. I will work with or connect with goddesses from any culture if I feel I have enough information to do so.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• noodle goddess
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have some links, if you're interested.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Mine is Hecate. Many depict her as an old hag but she is actually luminescent. She is the Goddess of the crossroads. With us being a military family I found comfort in her because she reminds us of how important transitions are as well as change. She helped me see that life is not about ONE choice and that is no other. Hecate, looks in three directions at the crossroads and reminds us that there are more than one choice. She is has aspects of threes: Mother, Maiden, Crone; Birth, Life, Death; The three bodies that watch the cross roads ect...

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I believe she is the other half of the God. Its a balance belief for me, all things balance somehow. You have good then evil, light then dark, daytime then nighttime. So it only makes sense to me that we have a female goddess to go with the male god.

Where he is strength and virility(know its not spelled right sorry) and the hunter,etc. All those male traits. She is the calm, the emotions, the grounder, a creator.

Men have their strengths and women have theirs....same with the Divine.

I believe there is a Universal Divine but that everyone sees that differently so there are many Goddesses(and Gods).

Although that is my belief I have also found myself pulled to honor as my matron diety the Goddess Lakshmi. She is the Hindu Goddess of Fortune and Well-Being.

HTH...

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I believe in many Goddesses and I envoke whomever I need for any given situation. Hecate is just my patron Goddess.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• BTW what book are you reading?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thank you guys so much. The book I am reading is not really about just the Goddess. It is about how there is a goddess who is the wife of a god that is the hunter who has a son that dies and they mourn for him is common to many different people groups. I am only a short ways into it (page 40 of 300, LOL) and it is WAY over my head so I need to go slow. I think it would be easier if I had more than just a basic understanding of mythology that you pick up in school.

I was just reading about how all the traditions may have had similar roots, and just renamed and retold in different culures. What do you think of that idea? It was talking about Nimrod/Ninus, Semiramus/Tammuz, is similar to Osiris/Isis. It said that Semiramus is similar to Diana, Cybelle, and Rhea. And that Nimrod/Ninus is similar to Belus, Kronos, and Bacchus. That each people have the same basic stories, just different names.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Obviosly, it is not trying to minimize anything, but to make some connections. There are many gods and goddesses in each region, not just these 3. And there are differences in the stories/legends. But that there is a common thread that runs through many beliefs.

It was pretty fascinating. And it was neat to see someone point out a hunter.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009