What is the best way to take your child off the pacifier?

I am a new mom so I really do not know what to do.

destineemommy

Asked by destineemommy at 1:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just take it away, tell them that other babies need the pacifiers and they are sad with out them. Have them help you gather them all up, put in a baggie or container and leave in a "special place" so the pacifier fairy can come get them. Have the"fairy" leave a little gift for the child (more or less like the tooth fairy I suppose) and don't give in when they ask for one. The first few days can be rough, but it won't last long, I promise.
    You could also try cutting the tips of the pacifiers, that works sometimes too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• MIne never took them..but I remember "mailing" my cousins to North Carolina(thats where she picked) for another baby to use.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I just "forgot" them when we went away for the weekend (had them in a special pocked of the bag in case DS got too upset) and by the time we got home, he was over it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Depends on the age.. What we did wwas weaned him form it during the day at about 8 months.. he only got it whenhe slept.. when he was 1.5 we told him big bots dont need it... we started working with him to go to sleep without it... when he finally got off of it.. we took the pacifers and the trash can out.. we gave him the pacifers and told him to say bye bye nuk... he threw them away and told them bye.. then he got a cookie.. big boys get cookies babies get nukies... thats just what worked for us though.. the sooner you do it the better
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009