What are the pros and cons of Soy infant formula?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't use soy formula unless I had no other option. That stuff smell HORRIBLE and I have never met a child that would tolerate it. My son would eat anything and HE even spit that stuff back at me.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My oldest DD was lactose intolerant...so a pro is it kept her alive!
    con--super stinky poop
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Soy formula has many cons. It should be the last choice. Go to google and type in soy formula hazards. Also go to www.kellymom.com

The major developmental issue during the first year is brain growth. Human milk is optimal for brain growth. Formula feeding is associated with about a 10 point lower IQ. Soy is worse than cow's milk formula. I would be very concerned about dropping my child's IQ 10 or more points.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My colicky son was on soy. He's by far smarter than my other son, I hate to say it. He's just turned five in late August and is flourishing in K.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Can we please for the love of god have a question where the breast feeding Nazi's are preaching about how superior they are

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• to Gailll (this is the op): my 1st dd was Formula fed and honestly I dont think she could get any smarter. If BF is so much better than FF please tell me when your LOs reached their milestones and I guarantee my dd reached them at the same if not before. I am wondering about Soy milk NOT BFING!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I started useing soy with my first son who is now 14. I was trying to suppliment BF with FF and this is what my Ped said to use so I did. He did great on it, even after I stoped with the little bit of BF I was able to do.
    With my 7 yo I went right to soy from day one. I am also giving it to my 4 week old.
    My 14 yo is gifted in language areas (he takes after me in math!), my 7 yo is very advanced in Math (like his Daddy) and who knows how the little one will turn out! I should also point out that I am a veggie while DH is not, I believe strongly in the good of soy.
    Milk or soy based is not so important to me in the long run so long as your baby is growing and healthy.

littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 4:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009