I'm hurt and kind of irritated. Am I being selfish?

My sister, who I haven't seen in a year, and my neice, who I met for the first time on Thus just came to visit for 3 weeks. We already discussed and agreed that my sister would spend weekends with me. I work full time during the week and would not be able to see her. She is spending the weeks visiting between my mom and my dad's house. I was invited to dine with them all last night, but declined the dinner and having my sister over, as I was feeling under the weather. I'm getting over a cold and was extremely exhausted last night. I called today to see if my sister was coming over, and my mom told me no. She said she had made plans with my sister for the whole weekend and that my sister was too busy.

Last time my sister came to visit my mom pressured my sister to spend the whole time with her, instead of dividing the family time. It left a lot of discord amongst us, hence the weekend arrangement.

cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think you are being selfish!  You have the right to feel however you want to.  Since your sister knows that is what your mom is doing, I think talking to her and telling her that your feelings are hurt and that you would like to spend some quality time with her is the way to go.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• cont

Im feeling hurt that this is happening again, and that my mom wouldn't even pass the phone to my sister. When I tried to join their plans, my mom said she didn't want me coughing around the baby. I got sick last sunday, am no longer contagious, and saw the baby when I picked them up from the airport.

Im just hurt I can't spend time with my neice or my sister. I want her to see my new apartment and meet my daughter, but it seems my time to hang with my sister is being cut short.

Am I just being selfish? Would you be hurt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• does your sister have a cell phone? well honestly if your sis really wanted to spend time with you then she'd probably be over there with you. but your mom sounds selfish really..not you. but just call her cell phone and ask her.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My inlaws are that way. I have one BILand his wife, that live in the same city as we do. A neice and BIL from out of town came to visit. My DH was out of town on business when they came. They went to my BIL house and stayed. Never came over or call, or said "hey, we are in town come over". I would have went to visit if I would have been invited. I guess I know where I stand with them now. I am a knowbody to them.

Answer by louise2 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009