Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long can my landlord leave me without an oven?

I have a gas stove and one burner doesn't work, flames only come out of half of another burner and the oven doesn't turn on. How long can he take to fix it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (7)
  • Contact your local renters rights office. You should be able to get the contact information through city hall; if you have 311 in your area, call them.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • In my state.. Washington and I'm guessin others as well, you are not required to pay the rent until the stove is repaired. Check your local landlord/tennant laws.

    Answer by chocolatluver at 2:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Also in wa, if it is something that makes the rental unlivable (no shower, no toilet, I am guessing no stove (you might have to look that one up) they have 10 days to fix it after you report it. After that you can call a professional in to fix it and send a copy of the paid bill to the landlord and deduct the cost out of your rent.

    Answer by auroura at 2:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Chocolatluver is right, it's the same here.  Not only do you not have to pay rent, you can also get him into trouble for not fixing it or replacing it right away.  I agree, call and see what your rights are in your state.


    Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • in my state they have 2 weeks with a formal notice...a written letter saying this doesnt work... you should look up your local landlord tenant laws.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • ours went out at our old apt and he fixed it within 5 days

    Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 2:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Submit (e-mail or hand it to him and have him sign it) a repair request that specifies the problems with the oven, and make sure the date is printed clearly on it. Keep a copy for your records. If you are persistent about it he will get it done faster. If he doesn't fix it within seven days, call housing athority and report him. They will come look at it themselves and serve him a notice of their own.

    Answer by MommyKKay at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.