Which formula?

I have to stop breast feeding and go to formula. My kid is allergic to some protein or something in breastmilk. The doctor didn't explain it too well. He nutramigen is good. Has anyone used it? He gave me a sample and shes doing better. But wanted input from moms who have used it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I always used similac with my guys. They did fine with that. I know others though who used the nutramigen and they swore by it. If your little one is doing good on it, I say stick with it. No need to switch now that she is used to it, ya know?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you want continue breastfeeding......check with a lactation consultant. Usual the hospital has one, WIC has one or you can check LLL.

Being allergic to breast milk seems very odd. Your baby could be allergic to something you are eating, that would be more common.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 2:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• A baby can NOT be allergic to breastmilk. The doctor didn't know what he was talking about. Doctors are not trained in lactation. The only way your baby can have a problem with breastmilk is if she has galactosemia. It is a very rare inherited disorder and the main symptom is convulsions. It develops in the first days of life. See AAP website below, contraindications for breastfeeding.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496

If your baby has trouble with formula you could end up having to buy special formula that costs $30 a day or more. Before your supply is gone call a lactation consultant or LLL about what the real problem may be.

A good website is www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Most likely the allergy is like a pp said, something you've eaten. I'd recommend talking to a lactation consultant and researching common foods you might eat that would bother your baby's stomach. FF can get very expensive.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009