Need advice

My mother-in-law and I DO NOT get along. We absolutely hate each other. These are some of the things that have happened: e-mailed the entire family (my husband's family including the ex husband) saying when she was down for Thanksgiving, I was an awful host, was rude, and inconsiderate; e-mailed myself to tell me I am an alcoholic, put my children in danger, and need to leave her son alone (by the way - I am not an alcoholic); and the most recent (which happened after a fight) is a series of 7 e-mails from her to my husband regarding advice on how to divorce me and become a guardian of my children! How do I handle this? I have tried speaking to her, she won't respond to anything. I want nothing to do with this woman, but she obviously is in my life. HELP!

SuzyQ515

Asked by SuzyQ515 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• have your dh talk to her and tell that enough is enough
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Is your husband on your side? I would skip seeing her for like a year and see how she feels after a year. Don't let her have access to your kid either. I don't see any nicer options for you, so play hardball.
    Anonymous

• I have talked to my husband and he says I'm playing her mind games. We live in different states so that is a benefit. But when we go home for trips and such, I don't want the kids to see her but my husband INSISTS she gets to see them. She would not let her mom see my husband and his siblings and my husband hated it. I am so lost.
    SuzyQ515

Answer by SuzyQ515 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Of course she should see her grandchildren. If you didn't you could become involved in legal battles with her?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well, seems as if you are in a catch 22. So, just don't talk to her if you don't have to. Don't give her any more fuel that she can use for her fire that she seems to have raging against you. if she calls, keep it short and just to the point. Do not email, because that could really snowball into something that she could turn around and blast you with to the family. and when you visit, be cordial, but if she tries to start something, just turn and walk away or tell her flat out, For the sake of this family I will not do this! Then just don't speak to her any more. She may try to use that against you, but with her, it seems the less you do the better. Good Luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would go and take the children when hubby wants to go. I would be polite and speak if and when spoken to. I would not bring this up to her again nor would I bring it up to my husband. He will eventually see her for who she is. I would also try to never be alone with the woman, even for short periods of time. I would be living in my husband's hip pocket when we were on a visit.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009