What if I don't want the school to change my son's classroom?

This happened last year to my son and he had to change classes due to overcrowding. We had already established a repertoire and routine with the old teacher when it happened. When we changed I wasn't kept informed by the new teacher, I had hardly any communication. This year is going great with this teacher. He is behind, and having trouble but I know what's going on. I'm in the process of getting him evaluated to see if he has some underlying learning problems, and this teacher is helping by filing out the forms I give her to assess him. Last week they sent the letter asking for parents to volunteer to change classes. I sent back a note requesting they not move him and why. Today, I open his backpack and find a letter that he is one they are changing. My son just told me only 3 kids from each class have to change. How can I stop this?

aleryan

Asked by aleryan at 2:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a teacher myself....I can see both sides of the problem. It is VERY difficult to handle parents/kids/staff when there is overcrowding and children need to be moved. It is so hard to handle people's emotions and understand both sides.
    But I am also a parent....(and I may be a little bit of a bitch)...I would demand a meeting with the principal, teacher, and any other administrator. I would inform them at the meeting that you in NO WAY want your child moved and give them your reasons why (tell them about last year). Hopefully they will listen to you...usually when a parent comes in and discusses things with a principal, it works out in the favor of the parent.
    Keep me updated!
    SuzyQ515

Answer by SuzyQ515 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Meet w/ the principal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• oh that so stinks mom,i dont think you can do anything tho,if it were private school it would be different story,i think they do it random,the best thing you can do is get ahold of the principal and let him/her know your kid has already done this before.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Point out to the principal that last year when this happened you were cooperative, but you don't think doing to it him 2 years in a row is fair.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I absolutely agree. Request a meeting immediately. I would also PUSH the point that your child was moved LAST year. It was diaruptive and it is someone elses turn. If you don;t advocate for him no one will.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It seems unanimous that I need to talk to the principal, so I'll call on Monday. Thank you for all the help everyone!
    aleryan

Answer by aleryan at 12:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2009