fruit fly help!!!! It's worse then roaches!

I have 2 bowls of cider vinager out on the kitchen counters and one in a cabinet. The bowls have plenty of dead flies yet they are still everywhere!! I can't even have food out uncovered or they end up all over it, this is worse then roaches!!1 I open the fridge and they fly in and stay in there.The one cabinet has them and I just can't take it!
Too make it worse my husband adds comments that make me feel like a failure as a homemaker. I don't leave dirty dishes around, fruit is in the fridge. So why is this such a huge problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• They are obviously finding something to breed in. I have had issues with them too, even this year when I was anal about not having any place for them to breed! They will find anything that's hospitable, things you wouldn't normally think of. Usually what I do is force them to one place - I'll have a juice bottle with apple peel, juice, crap they love, and let it sit overnight. As I walk into the kitchen the next day, I'll slap the lid on, thus capturing a great deal of them. It's worked better for me than the vinegar. Are you putting a drop of dishsoap in the cider vinegar? That's a must. Also, put new vinegar/soap in every day or every other day, washing the container before putting fresh in. Go over your entire kitchen, top to bottom, inside & out, crazy little places, and clean clean clean, even if it's already spotless - they are hiding somewhere, even in the carpet if someone spilled something & didn't clean it up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Fit a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the jar, making sure that it fits tight and well sealed around the edges. Then take a pen or pencil and poke 4 to 5 holes in the plastic, just big enough for a fruit fly to fit into. Once a fruit fly crawls in, it can't get out. You would think they would just fly back out through the holes, but they won't! found it on google :)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• oh and the jar has to be super clean as in cleaned a few time so all they smell is the banana in it,yikes i didnt post the whole thing ,my bad
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have plastic wrap and then rubber bands around that plus 5 holes poked in....still they keep coming out of nowhere.....They aren't escaping I see them trying to but they can't get out so where do they come from????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OP~ OH boy!! The carpet!! LOL! That would have to be it. I have a 4 yr old boy who isn't the neatest kid Lord knows what is in that carpet or even the fabric on the couch.

What about the sink drain and the pipes? I am sure they are scummy is there anything to pour down it to clean it out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Check your cabinets. Everything Out! Check flour, grains, anything. If you have any house plants, I would check them too, they can breed in the soil.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 3:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I read that the fruit flies come from the fruit itself when it starting to go bad, so you might want to check your fruits at times.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• ugh, i had them bad and i guess they had laid eggs in my dish sponge. talk about gross. might want to check that out
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think this is a really bad year for them. I normally will have a few, but we have had a ton this year. I even had one in my car lol. Wait for a cool-cold day and open all the windows and they will die
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009