masturbation

Does the bible really speak agianst this? I read the story of Onan that was shown to me to show that we are forbidden cause look what happened to him. But he didn't masturbate he purposely did not impregnate his brothers wife after his brother had passed on as was custom. So is masturbation sinful? Why or why not?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• In case you do not get many answers, these should help: Post 1, Post 2, Post 3, Post 4, Post 5,

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• the issue is not directly addressed anywhere in the Bible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• anon is right mastrubation itself is not directly addresses anywhere in the bible. Many denominations however take the very versage you are using as a reference to shame people concerning it. That particular verse referes only to him having the opportunity to make a lineage heir for his deceased brother according to law and custom and refusing to do so..
    Truth I think God would much rather us discover ourselves and know ourselves intimately as well as Him and our marital partner... True satisfaction in lovemaking is rather difficult if YOU don't even know what your triggers are. Did you know early in late 18th early 19th centruy women would go to doctors for "medical" masturbation . It is proven fact that the chemicals released in the process of orgasm are sent to the brain relieveing stress and bringing peace and calm. This applies in both sexes.
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 3:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• while i dont agree w/ every word of it, the article Cinnamon-mom posted (Is Masturbation Wrong?) is a very good article.

i think masturbation is a slippery slope. while it is beneficial to the body & mind, it can be detrimental to the mind & spirit, especially if one is consumed w/ guilt & shame from the act. so long as someone uses masturbation as a form of sexual release to keep from fornicating (i hate that word) or committing adultery, i believe it is fine. the real problem is becoming addicted to masturbation &/or masturbatory aides (porn) & letting it control you.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's the thoughts that make it sinful. I like most of the info in the links Cinnamon provided.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ok I read this post http://www.cafemom.com/answers/13470/Is_Masturbation_A_Sin

Well that verse has two scenarios. One is where the man ALONE has an emission of semen. Then the later scenario where he has been with a woman.

But one responder said its a lack of self control. Ok so if sexual desire that u can't ignore is losing self control if you masturbate is it better to not and burn with desire? Or possably end you virginity before marriage cause well if masturbation is sinful it's not worse then actually having sex. And imo I would much rather have the real thing. So that goes into a whole spectrum of things. If having sexual desire so strong you have to pleasure yourself, then why isn't food cravings a loss of self control? I mean you don't have to have that snickers, but you see in the check out line and your mouth is watering. Am I right?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I believe its a sin when your not married and thinking of someone in ur head to please you...thats like fornication.....a sin can just be a thought. I believe that when ur married and your thinking of another person or keeping sex from ur spouse its a sin.
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Did someone actually say "masturbation is a slippery slope"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009