I can`t get my 1 year old daughter to take naps any more

My daughter use to take a 3 hour nap and now that she turned one last week she refuses to take a nap at all.I knew this time was coming but she still needs to take a little nap during the day right?

ashes2330

Asked by ashes2330 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give it a different name now. (rest time, siesta time, relaxing time) When my guys got a little bigger, we called it nippy-nap, instead of just a nap. I guess it just sounded better (and funnier) and not ominous. lol Anyway they would lay down and it would take em a good 10-15 min to settle before falling asleep. My oldest took naps until he was about 3 1/2 or so and my youngest was about 4 -and I would sit with him and rock him to get him to settle down before he would go down for his nap time. (boy do I miss those times!)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yes it is best for them to still have a nap. just keep an eye out for any tired cues. if she refuses to lay down, just put her in her bed and leave the room for a few minutes. when my son just turned one, it took him a few minutes to settle down but he eventually did and was so refreshed after the nap
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree I would at least have a rest time. My SD is 4 and she still takes at least a 45min rest time. She doesn't have to sleep, (and she hates it being called a nap) so we just have her lay down in her bed for rest time.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 2:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Um Honey you are the parent. Make her take a nap. You stand over the top of her telling her to go to sleep until she falls asleep. If you can't be an adult now, your chances of raising a respectable child is nill. Make her take a nap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Some kids stop taking them but I would still make her. Even if she doesn't fall asleep it is still good for her to have quiet time to relax. Just put her to bed if she gets out she gets in trouble and stick to it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My grandson is 12 months. His father forces him to take a nap, holding him still and him crying up to a half hour. I can't do that. We watch music videos on youtube. James Blunt usually puts him to sleep. I know he is all the way asleep when he doesn't clap any more. He is branching out to other soft rock and 70's music.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2009