Anniversary or Not?

Ok my SO and I have been together for 1year in about a week. We are committed living together and I am basically his two daughters step mom in all but the legal sense. We don't know when or if we will get married, it just isn't important to us right now. Anyways we decided to make the date of our first date our anniversary. He got me an early gift, when I called to tell my mother she made a big deal about it not being a real anniversary unless we were married. So what do you gals think.... even if we aren't married would you consider it an anniversary?

chrissifaye

Asked by chrissifaye at 2:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Um, yeah, it's your anniversary of your first date. Tell her to shove it, it's an anniversary!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I clicked the anon. button---i turned into one of 'them" haha

answer is still Yes!!!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My husband and I re-met (went to high school with him!!) on November 16th, 2003 and were married on November 3, 2004.....and we celebrate both! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• An anniversary is an anniversary. It matters to the people celebrating it, not to anyone else. Go for it!
    calico1954

Answer by calico1954 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• YEP! It's the day you committed your lives to each other, so that makes it an anniversary in my eyes. DH & I celebrate the day we started dating as well as our wedding day.
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• DH and I celebrate the ann of our first date still... Sounds like your mother wants you to get married to me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Happily unmarried to the same man for 10 1/2 years and 3.3 children. Our Anniversary is April 1st.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'll be the oddman out. No, I dont think its a real anniversary. Its a special occasion that you want to remember even though, at the time, it probably didnt mean a lot cuz you didnt know if it would go anywhere.

Now its led somewhere but not to marriage which is most peoples(note I didnt say all)goal.

Its like you want to have that one day a year to celebrate your togetherness like a traditionally married couple would do but without having to get married to do it.

Just celebrate your love and togetherness daily and dont worry about having one particular date.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Main Entry: an·ni·ver·sa·ry
    Pronunciation: \ˌa-nə-ˈvərs-rē, -ˈvər-sə-\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural an·ni·ver·sa·ries
    Etymology: Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn — more at annual, worth
    Date: 13th century
    1 : the annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event; broadly : a date that follows such an event by a specified period of time measured in units other than years
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No where does it say MARRIAGE in the definition of Anniversary..it DOES however say...
    NOTABLE event.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 4:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009