Pediatrician telling us to give breastfed baby juice at 2 months

I just took my daughter to her check-up yesterday and the doctor was telling us to try and give her juice already. Personally I thought you shouldn't do that until they're 6 months, but I've read that's even bad to do, especially if they are breastfed. Has anyone else had this happen? Have you done it? Should I do it? Please help.

contrariant

Asked by contrariant at 2:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't. The only reason I see them telling you that is if your baby is having a hard time pooping and that is pear juice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i would seek a 2nd opion,i didnt give my little one anything until 4months.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OMG, your ped is an idiot. Switch. You're 100% right and you should wait until 6 months to introduce anything but breastmilk to your baby's diet. Don't take his advice and find a new doctor who knows what the hell they're talking about.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Make sure if you do decide to give juice to baby to dilute it with water. But yea I'd wait until 4-6mths; I think I gave mine juice at 6mth
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends only 4-6 ounces of juice for children 1-6. If you give juice to babies they should be over 6 months, it should be in an open cup not a bottle or sippy cup, and white grape is supposed to be best. There is a whole list of problems associated with giving kids juice.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Did he even tell you WHY he wanted you to give your baby juice? That sounds so weird to me. Most peds won't even bring it up until 6mos, if that. I would question his abilities as a doc unless he's got a good darn reason.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If your doctor told you it is safe. Then it probably is safe to do. The only thing I will say is to dilute it. Full strength juice will give you baby diarrea.

These women on here do not know what they are talking about all the time. They just go by what they read in  magazines, or on line.   Moms have been giving their babies juice and water and cows milk form the dawn of time. Not all doctors are trying to harm you child.

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you are concerned ask your pedi why he wants you to give the baby juice. It can be used to help with constipation, I've used it with my boys very successfully to help with their constipation. My youngest actually got quite constipated and had to be disimpacted by the Dr, but after that I'd just give him some diluted pear or white grape or white cranberry juice and it worked like a charm to keep him regular. But I wouldn't just blindly follow the pedi's orders, ask why he wants such a young baby to have juice. I am also not a fan of anything but milk (whether breastmilk or formula) or water being given in a bottle. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Babies don't need juice PERIOD. Juice is empty calories that helps you form an addiction to sweets. Even when starting baby food you are told do veggies before fruit, because the child will not want to eat the veggies after having had the sweet fruit.

Not to mention, that breastmilk has EVERYTHING a 2 month old baby needs.

Unless your baby is constipated, and breastfed babies usually are not, there's no reason for the juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• apple juice at 2 months here
    only 1 oz juice 1 oz water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009