How Do you deal with a whiney toddler?

CoUrTTeRrAnCe

Asked by CoUrTTeRrAnCe at 3:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach signs so he can communicate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We go outside to play. Or we have a snack. Those two things will cure all whininess in our house. My kids usually are only cranky and whiny if they are hungry, bored, or tired. Those two thing either solve the problem or make them forget they are sleepy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• DISTRACTIONS! I use healthy snacks after the afternoon nap, coloring, a walk outside. If he can't communicate well yet teaching signs is helpful like Gailll said.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i ignore whining. unless it's something i should be worried about. my son is 2 1/2 and to me that's old enough to realize that whining isn't going to get him whatever he wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I just say, "no whining," Even if I have to say it 50 times a day, I really want it to stick. Then, since she is only 2 and doesn't effectively know the correct way to verbally get her needs met, I feed her the words that are appropriate, like, "Mama, juice please." Then I have her repeat what I said and give her praise for saying it. Its been working really well for us and the whining has been tapering off. Good luck!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I tell my daughter "no whining" then I try to get her to say "more please" [for food or drink] normaly she calms down after that and gives me a smile [that's kind of her way of saying it] if she's whining about not getting a toy she wants or whatever, I tell her "no whining" and then I sit her down and get her mind off whatever it is she can't have...
    sometimes I ignore the whining, it just depends on what she's doing. most of the time she just needs some mommy cuddle time so I hold her :)

it just depends on what your child is wanting or needing at the time...
    Good luck!!! :)
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 6:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• time out!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Whining in my house equates the need for a nap. When we start I tell her "no whining" and then I say nap time and she starts to wave for night night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It depends on why she's whining. Much of the time her whining is amusing to me. I'll explain to her why she can't have what ever she is whining for and try to distract her. I'll usually ask "why are you whining?" and she'll state simply "I'm not whining!"
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 7:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009