Swine flu and ER?

Oh great, Jayden has had a sore throat for 2 days and today he fell asleep playing the wii!!! What 8 yr. old does that? He went to bed at a decent hour, should have had plenty of rest! Well, now he has a 101 fever and says his stomach feels bad. Should I take him to the dr? All the dr. offices here are closed so I would have to take him to the ER. He has a yucky nose, sore throat, fever, body aches and is nauseus. Grrrrr, I hate sick kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• "Why would you think he has Swine Flu? Are you flu cases going to have paranoid mothers running to ER this year? So he has the flu..... it will go away."

You are just being rude. She is not being paranoid, jst being a mother! She is asking a honest question. My child and I just had "Swine Flu." Many people are getting it. That is the flu that is going around right now, Influenza A H1N1. People who don't know anything should not give their opinions.

To the OP- We went and got tested because we didn't know what we had. It was worthless to us to pay to see a doctor. I would stay home and treat your child unless they get much worse. Use Motrin, Tylenol, Mucinex, Powerade, Chicken oodlen, etc... Hope they feel better soon.

Also, our symptoms were tiredness, headaches, achy, fever, sore throat, sneezing, chest congestion, cough, diarrhea, and nausea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He has the flu, why would you bother the er or even the doctor about it? Let it run its course. If his fever gets high, or it doesn't go away in a week THEN see the doctor (or er if its really high). For now just make sure he has plenty of fluids, lots of rest, and watch his fever.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Maybe try an urgent care clinic...not sure where you live but we use Solantic---you can register over the internet and they call you when they are ready to see you---no waiting in the lobby.
    i live in FL.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The only reason to take him to the ER is if you would want them to give him the Tamiflu if they thought it was the flu. You might want to go to the Tamiflu website and read about it.

The ER will most likely be a long wait and expose him to other illnesses.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My 7 year old daughter tested positve for the swine flu last week. I called her doctor's office the first day I noticed her symptoms and they asked me not to bring her in if I thought she had the flu. Well the next day she was worse with a 103 fever so we took her to urgent care and they tested her for it there. She was sick for about 5 days. Her symptoms were alot of coughing, high fever, body aches, and basically she just wouldn't get out of bed. If I were you I would hold off on taking your son to the ER just yet because all they will do is treat his fever with tylenol which you can do at home. I would just watch him closely and if his symptoms get worse then take him in. They never gave my daughter anything they just told us to wait it out but some doctors might prescribe tamiflu. Good luck !!
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why would you think he has Swine Flu? Are you flu cases going to have paranoid mothers running to ER this year? So he has the flu..... it will go away. Treat him with Tylenol alternating with Motrin and have a nice weekend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• 101 is definitely a fever. If he is a normally healthy boy it means his body is fighting well. That number is an ER situation as an infant. Baths are a great way to bring down the temp and they are a lot of fun. Sleeping is healthy. The heart rate will naturally be up. Watch out for not eating. Pedilite has those missing electroites he may need. Watch out for additional symptoms such as rashes. I would call the dr.'s office so they can give you more info and also when you bring him in you wont be told give it a week but instead they will know you did and take the next steps.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• A child with a virus should be kept home, not exposed to additional infections. Emergency rooms are for emergencies.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• well, I took him to the ER and I am glad I did. His fever was 103 and rising. And he was dehydrated. He tested negative for swine flu, but has a major throat infection. The dr. said it was a good thing I brought him in when I did. He said there was no way that he would have made it to Monday to see his ped. We dont have any after hour clinics or insta care clinics or anything like that here. No dr. offices are open on Saturday at all. I am so glad I went with my mommy intuition and didn't listen to some of you rude asses here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009