How can I color over bleached highlighted hair?

I tried to add some dark brown streaks the other day, and it didn't take. In fact my roots turned orangey. I would like to add a dark auburn shade over what I current have. How can I do so and prevent my roots from becoming brassy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I bleached my hair and it turned bright orange because that is the color it becomes from browm to going to blonde . You then have to dye it another color. When that happened to me I just dyed back to brown and it looked good. Just with some warm tones but nothing bleachy looking. Been there done that. DOn't worry I would not waste the money to go to a salon unless of course it is uneven with streaks and even then you can still dye it yourself. DOn't think hairdresser will work miracles. I have had to dye over professional dye jobs because the streaking always pulls through the hair after a couple of washings.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• you prob should now just go to a salon because any thing else you do could result in hair loss. trust me i know it happend to me. Too many chemicals mixing to cover up mistakes can be fatal to the hair :)

stay beautiful
    thesupermom411

Answer by thesupermom411 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have to agree with SuperMom. I would really go to a salon and have them do it, they have techniques that can save your hair. A brassy color usually means it's burned. Sadly.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If red is involved a salon is best because whatever you put on the highlights will be lighter. when doing it at home it is best to work on hair that has not been bleached, so I highly recommend going to a salon to get the right color that you want. It is always good to have a consult when dealing with color.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You might need to do some serious hair treatments and give your hair a break for awhile. Coloring over bleached hair should be easy...if it isn't taking, then you likely have a high lift color in there, not bleach. Either way...you are on the road to doing serious damage to your hair. Go into a salon and have a professional take care of it from here.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You cant cover bleach hair with a box color. You need a different level of developer that comes in a clairol kit. A salon can cover it. But keep in mind, it only sticks to the bleach hair. It will fade in time, and you will have to keep re-dying it untill it grows out and you can cut out those bleach pieces. Bleach hair will not soak up the color like natural does.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009