What would you think if the government started a programs like this?

A program that will pay to relocate people and their families to jobs.
A program that provides mass transit to low unemployment areas(if you can find one).
A program that takes people who live in low income housing and puts them to work raising/growing their own food on a farm initially paid for by the government.
A program that lets people in low income housing run home day cares out of their apartment.
Legislation that does something about the gap between wages and the cost of living.

Right now I am hearing a lot of bickering and finger pointing and nothing being done to really fix anything.
If you have any suggestions that might actually work I would love to hear them as I am sure others would, too.

lori232

Asked by lori232 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While I think that a few of these are fairly reasonable ideas, lets be realistic...
    A) they are very costly ideas and the likelihood of the government EVER being able to afford them are slim to NIL
    B) there are too many people who are looking for handouts and they would take advantage of the system leaving the rest of us (as usual) to carry them through their mistakes and laziness
    C) many people with low income have CHOSEN to live that way....what about those of us that do our very best, have kept our jobs for years and STILL struggle to get by...how come the middle class is always overlooked and goes without any assistance or rewards???

Now I know it sounds harsh...but the low income thing is a difficult thing for me...some people refuse to better themselves, can't hold a job to save their lives and have no money...but they always seem to have enough to buy smokes and booze.....irritating to say the least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'd like to know where the money to pay for this is going to come from. Its just going to put our children even more in debt. The govt is already doing enough out of control spending as it is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why the hell do we only want to help the low income families????????????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Disabled people on SSI can receive $674 a month. You can only earn $85 a month without reducing or loosing your SSI and in some states loosing Medicaid. My medical expenses are over $10,000 a month and I can't loose Medicaid or I would die without medical treatment.

Why not let people on SSI earn up to 100% of the poverty level including their SSI. Most people on SSI would have a flexible job or a home based business because they are disabled. I could teach online college courses, substitute teach, or tutor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why the hell do we only want to help the low income families?

Why would we not want to help low income families? Higher income brackets would benefit from the suggestions of the OP as well....For instance, helping people in subsidized housing to grow their own produce would cut the tax money necessary for Food Stamps. Daycare provided by low income families could help the government save money on subsidies that they already provide for daycare assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You can hand some people all of their needs and it will likely cause them to never learn to stand on their own but to always expect more...

and there are always those ones (as an anon mentioned) who will never better their situations no matter what..

Another great point is we are broke now and cannot afford what is already being done..our children and grandchildren will pay it their entire lives.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think we all need to pitch in on things like this that will make our country better. Are you actually saying you would not support a program that would help people get to jobs. Its this attitude that keeps people wanting to live on the government. Instead of giving them a hand up you would rather see them live on the system. I am talking programs that would get people independent instead of dependent. I am all for welfare reform because of this, but people often equate welfare reform with getting rid of it completely and that happens on both sides of the political divide. Getting rid of welfare entirely will only lead to even bigger problems, beggars and rampant illness, to name two major problems that have happened in the past. So if you say they are good, but we cannot afford them then we need to find a way to do it.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Also if you look at ANY government run program it is lousey not effective nor effcient..but some want to keep handing them more and MORE...and look at all of the red tape bs ..and all of the positions that so uness. that get added in...wasting more money having tax payers fork out more
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• By the way there are already govy programs like this maybe not for all areas but i know my area which happens to be very rural has buses that come out to the people who do not have vehicles
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think what would be way more helpful would be for our public schools to have an overhaul find out what the problems are why our children are falling behind those in some other countries..hes another clue trash the far left agenda being taught in our public schools...parents parent your children again
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009