Church of Satan question ~ Courteous answers only please

PLEASE, I ask only for serious answers. In other words no nasty replies.

My question is, are the Church of Satan and LeVayan Satanism the same thing? If not, how do they differ? I'm researching for a general information article and am having a hard time finding the answer. Some things I read say it is the same thing, some say it's not. I want to give accurate information in the article so I appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, the Church of Satan is the church started by Anton LaVey. So Church of Satan members are LaVeyan satanists....but you don't necessarily have to join the church officially to be one.

You are welcome to join our group (the link roachiesmom left) if you have more questions.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• They are the same. Levay was the founder of the Church of Satan. Well, not being a Satanist I don't actually know if there are splinter groups that still call themselves Church of Satan or if the Church of Satan has detached itself from Levay. But I have read enough on the issue to confidently say that Anton Levay established the Church of Satan so they are practicioners of Levayan Satanism.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thanks to you both! I'm not a Satanist either, so wanted to make sure I give the correct info. nysa00, I wasn't sure whether the COS had detached itself from LeVay either, and can't seem to find anything about it on their website.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Here is the group -- http://www.cafemom.com/group/91551/ -- in case you have more questions.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• From what I know in research... yes .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't have anything useful to say. They have covered it all at this point. BUT, I did want to just say - YEAH - I'm so proud of everyone in this forum for not posting 10,000 posts about how just reading the word satan opens you up for an eternity in hell as would normally happen... Hmmm... Maybe all our trolls are out sick... lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well it looks to me like a troll said it for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2009