Preschooler wont go to sleep by herself!

I need some advice on how to get my 3yr old to sleep at night without wanting me and without crying herself to sleep! WE tried the whole daddy go in there thing but it doesnt seem to work..Any mommy out there been or going through this and how is or did it work for you??? Please I am needing help!!!!

bonham

Asked by bonham at 4:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give in, let her cry it out. She will get over it if you are consistent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Who likes to sleep by themselves? How can you expect a 3 year old to want to? The family bed is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Read the article on this page http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  under Bedtime. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 4:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Is this a new thing or has she always done this? She is old enough to understand that she needs to learn to go to sleep on her own. I would make a big deal about it. Take her to the toy store (or even the pet store if you're not opposed to a new little fish or hamster or something) and let her pick out something to be "with her" while she goes asleep. A stuffed animal, a goldfish, etc. can be very comforting to a child that age. Heck she might even like a cool night light. Then, as soon as she has her new friend, no more mommy and daddy being in there with her while she falls asleep. Make sure you have a very consistent nighttime routine too - children thrive on consistency. No active games before bed. Some children can't even do tv right before bed. Maybe playing with blocks or reading stories for the last 20/30 minutes before bed - something to help her wind down. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We went through something very similar here recently. We had our routine down pat and all of a sudden, it became this long drawn out battle. Our routine was for both me and my husband to go into her room with her. She gives us both a hug and a kiss and then gets a drink of water. We turn on her fan, cover her up, make sure she has all her babies and say good night. This used to work wonders. When bedtime became a battle, we were desperate for answers. The last trick we tried was music, and it worked wonders. We have a couple CD's that we started turning on when she goes to bed, and she loves it. If she gets out of bed or starts crying, we go in there one time only and tell her if we have to go in again, the music is turned off. So far, it has worked. We have been using the music for about a month now and bedtime is so much easier!

lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 5:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I do not have this problem for reasons I have never ever allowed our girls to sleep in bed with us so from day one they have been in their own space and bed. However, she does have a tendency of getting up a lot, I stop this behavior by simply ignoring her requests or fulfilling requests before she can ask "cup of water, book, blankie, yaddayadda". Sometimes if she doesn't stop, I let her cry it out, but I'm a mom that doesn't give in so my battles are generally short.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 2:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009