When do you know to take a 4 yr old into the ER? my son was messing around on the edge of the couch and he

fell backwords and hit his head. There is a 2 inch cut, the blood has stopped, there's a small bump and he's holding an ice pack on it.
This is my first time with this.
I don't want to call the ER because they will just say bring him in. It's a $50 copay . I have exactly $50 so if I bring him and they say it's no big deal then I'm out grocery/gas money.

PLEASE NO BASHING.......I AM ASKING YOU MOMS WHAT TO DO BECAUSE I HAVE NOBODY ELSE!! TO TURN TO SO PLEASE HELP!! AND TELLING ME TO GET OFF THE INTERNET IS NOT HELPING, I AM TURNING TO YOU FOR HELP AND THEN WILL GET BACK TO MY SON.
I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEED FOR STITCHES, AT WHAT POINT ARE THEY NEEDED??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm...if its a 2 inch gash...it might be worth bringing him in. my neice did this same thing and even though it stopped bleeding she needed two staples. im sorry it happened...GL <3
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• How deep is the cut? is it deep red around the area where the cut is? (like blood red) is he acting diffrent? can he talk ok? If all those things are ok and he isnt acting funny or diff in any way then he most likely will be ok.... dont let him sleep for about 3-4 hr though just to be on the safe side. if he shows any signs of forgeting, not being able to talk rigt, or being dizzy then take him to the er
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You can get wound glue and glue it together yourself.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I dont know what to tell you. The bleeding has stopped. The ice pack is good. Umm does your doctors office have like an after hours clinic? Our insurance has a nurse you can talk to maybe yours does too? If you take him in its not like they can turn you away if you dont have money right then. They can bill you. You can also but these bandaids that stick on and hold it together better than a regular bandaid. I cant remember what they are called though. I think I would be mostly worried about infection though. If it is going to be uncovered he could get a pretty bad infection. I would take him in for stitches and tell them I didnt have any money.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OP HERE

I cleaned the cut with soapy water and the those sticky strips are a good idea I know what they are and thanks for reminding me.....He is talking fine and being a tropper, I gave him children's Motrin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If the bleeding has stopped, and he is acting normal, I would just keep an eye on him. You may want to wake him every couple of hours tonight (in case of concusion), but other than that, try not to worry. Please don't feel bad about the money situation. Times are tough for everyone, and trust me, I think money problems or not most of us can relate to not wanting to go and sit in the ER for hours on end to find out nothing at all is wrong.

A long time ago when my son was about your son's age he was running and fell into the corner of the wall. He had a deep gash coming down from inside his nose all the way through to his mouth, and his gum was literally severed with his little teeth hanging down. They seriously did nothing except give him Tylenol 3 (which by the way was a no go...he started halucinating), and told me to take him to his pediatrician the next day.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 4:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i bring my kids in for any and everything , granted we have insurance but even when i didnt i still did. they really make you pay a co pay at the ER, i didnt think it owrked like that. i always thought that no matter if you have insurance or not you got sawn.maybe im wron tho. but you really have to be careful with these things. my little girl feel off my bed and she seemed fine but was complaining of having a boo boo arm. didnt think anything of it.she was complaining about it the next day so i took her in and turns out she had a broken arm and wrist. there was no swellin and no sign of anything. she wore a cast for 5 months. shes ok now. but it just remninds me how fragile these little creatures can be.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Depends on the insurance but yeah there is a $50 copay and if you are to sick to pay it they will bill it too you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you have butterfly bandages that can hold the cut together, and they are doing so easily, then I personally wouldn't worry about getting stitches. If it looks like they are pulling or it looks like the scar will be bad, go get stitches. Are his eyes dilating the same? Grab a flashlight and shine it in his eyes, if they don't, get him to the er. I am a firm believer that the ER is for Emergencys such as stitches, broken bones and concussions. People who go in for anything and everything annoy me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• op here- flashlight is a good idea and i will go try that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009