potty training troubles

I have a three year old that is on some days going to the bathroom and other days just doesn't want anything to do with the bathroom, How can I get him to go to the bathroom regularly on a continuous daily basis?
I have tried fruit loops/cheerios, praises, treats and toys and everything. I am running out of ideas and can't always afford treats and toys all the time. the doctor isn't fully worried about it but I'm thinking that she wants him to be potty trained soon though. any ideas on this please help.

lilmama800

Asked by lilmama800 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, I believe he will go (all the time) when he is ready. That's the attitude we took on with my son. What we did was put some m&m's or skittles (whatever small candy he picked out) at the store in an air tight jar and left it on the bathroom counter. Any time he went, he got two pieces of candy. If he pooped, he got four. You can also try a sticker chart, but it honestly didn't work for us. Hang in there Mama! He'll get the hang of it soon enough.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 4:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree with pp. My son refused to use the bathroom until 3 weeks ago, he is 4. The doctor said that it is normal and some kids just decide to start later on. Good luck
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 5:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• with my three year old ,she really started on her own wanting to go but after we brought her baby sis home she turned completly around thats when i told her it was gross when she potty her panties cause she was pretty much potty trained when we brought sis home id let her go potty when i went but in ur case let him go with daddy tell him how proud u r of him when he goes and he is such a big boy it really worked for my dd now my one year old is trying to potty train
    billiesmom

Answer by billiesmom at 5:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009