Does anyone else feel as though the Govt's duty is to protect the people, not take care of the people?

Something just doesn't seem right IMO with all of this "free" money blowing around. The stimulus packages, money for brand new cars, money for new homes, etc. I just get a 'this doesn't feel right' kinda feeling. I was always taught that nothing is free.

Seems like the Govt. should collect just enough taxes to pay for protective programs such as police, firefighters, military, and programming for the most vulnerable in our society (Elderly, Child Services, Disabled). If I didn't include a particular protective agency, I apologize.

Feels like a Govt. credit card... free money, free money! Then, a few years down the road, you have to pay it back at a 26% APR.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely and it might surprise some to know that is actually ALL our government is supossed to do those are their actual duties.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No your not. What do you think the tea parties are protesting for?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• that depends if u mean take care as in medicaid and foodstamps. Then hell yeah they should.. the government messed up causing so many ppl to lose jobs and now they and their families dont have enough money for food or medical..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well, I did state, 'the most vulnerable in society' so, I would guess thatpeople who would starve w/o foodstamps are pretty vulnerable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i agree
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree 100%.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree completely!
    luvbeinmom21

Answer by luvbeinmom21 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yep.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Phew! Glad I'm not alone on this. Thanks for the feedback. I apologize for posting anonymously, I usually never do, it just seems that if you disagree with anything going on within the Govt. at this time, folks are quick to label you unpatriotic, an extremest, or any other kind of hater and quickly rush you off to the gallows.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Are there still tea parties going on carpy? I remember a blip about them when all of this started, but not since.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009