Alcoholism??? Dont know what to do or say...

This could get long.
My fianced dad is an alcoholic, so was his grandpa. I feel bad for my fiance and his two younger brothers, they watched their grandpa drink him self to death. He died a couple months ago, we lived with him...and his dad and two younger brothers. We still live with my fiances dad and brothers.
I dont know where to begin really, his dad has already been hospitalized before due to his drinking problem. Two years ago when I was preggo with our daughter his dad go soo drunk that he ended up hurting him self so bad that he had to have his leg amputated...and was on dialasis for like 6 mos cause his kidneys were fialing. You would think that would made him quit. Well he did for about a year. Well he has started again, bad. He trys to hide it like we are to dumb to know he is drinking again. It scares me cause he was drunk and tride to pick up my daughter, I tried to keep her away...but he almos fell on her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Health

• An alcoholic has to want help to get it. I wouldn't allow my child unsupervised time with anyone that was an alcoholic and wouldn't let him be around someone that was drunk. Then there would be no risk of someone trying to pick him up and dropping them. Explain to your FIL that he can see his grandchild when he has not been drinking and while you are there to watch. Other than that I'm not sure what you are asking.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• He has to be the one that wants to stop. Maybe all of you try sitting him down and letting him know your feelings. Try and see if he can get help or some kind of support maybe through alcohols annonymous meetings. Hopefully be talking to him he may realize the hurt and the pain he is causing everyone. Ultimately it will be his choice to take the steps to stay sober.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well I guess my question is what can I do? I dont feel its my place to talk to him about it and my fiancee and his brothers have pretty much givin up on him. I swear it drives me nuts. He trys to act like it isnt that bad, that he dont drink like he use too. He was wasted lastnihght again and is already today agian.. Its hardest for my youngest brother in law, he has been though enough in the past 18mos. He had to go to a group home for something stupid he did a long time ago, and just got released. My fiances mom was in a major accident in april and he was stuck in the group home, his grandpa died and he had to miss his funeral service. His dad really started to get bad again when granpa passed wiich i sort of understand...but still getting wasted isnt helping nothihg...he should know that by now already. He always wanted us to keep it a seceret form my younges bil...now he does it right in front of hm. I just dont know??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We have the same issue with my fil. He actually got so drunk he fell down the stairs,broke his back,has bleeding on the brain and still drinks. There is no a damn thing I can do but deal with my own business. It was draining me. He'll be dead soon and it's his choice. Others would say throw him in rehab,it's not that simple! He'd just drink anyway. We told him he would not be permitted to have a rtelationship with his grandkids or us as long as he drinks. We are so done! It's been years of this crap.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• PM me if you ever need to talk!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thanks for your advice and opinions....It just sucks knowing there is nothing you can do to help. It sucks for everybody, but what can you do? Its ultimaltley up to them to quit, they have to want to. I just wish he did and would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009