Do you need to learn to cook?

I previously posted a question asking “Do you know how to cook?” LoL so far the people who responded all said yes. Although yes is a great answer, I figured I would rephrase my question to help those who do not know how to cook by sharing a little bit of my story. I am so excited...

Truth be told 3 months ago I was a horrible cook. LOL I read some e-books that really helped. Since then my husband stopped complaining lol I can cook now! I am so excited!!!!!!! The place I went to get the e-books was www.athomecookinginstitute.com. I feel like spreading the news because it helped me so much. it is 3 separate small e-books and they were pleasant to read. So I am going to pass this information on as much as I can only because I wish someone would have given me this site years ago lol.

thesupermom411

Asked by thesupermom411 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I need to learn to cook!! I know how to cook but im a horrible cook, lol. My rice STILL comes up like mush. Its hard for me to learn how to learn through a cookbook though, I need someone actually showing me.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• aww @AdensMommy1107 I thought the same thing but go to that website. I hope it helps. It sure did help me. Thats why I am telling everybody I know. LOL I should be getting paid for this LOL. I learned the trick to rice is not to stir it but one time. turn the burner on low and let it simmer and steam.
    thesupermom411

Answer by thesupermom411 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We eat a lot of rice, so I invested in a rice cooker - best thing ever!

As for learning how to cook, it's really not that hard if you can read or even just follow pictographs in a cookbook. If you really need to "see" how it's done, go to your local library and request some instructional cooking DVDs and watch those. At least you can take them into your kitchen with you (unlike your computer, which should never be exposed to cooking) by using a portable DVD player and then you can just follow along, pause or replay sections as needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Anonymous, I agree with you, the computer has no place in the cooking environment, that’s why I just printed out the e-books. I used cookbooks for years but i really wasn’t learning anything. Now i am able to make up my on recipes instead of following others instructions. The books i printed out were great, i learned about the food and how to use it. It was the background knowledge that i needed to be a great cook. Some cooking shows just show you how to make their recipe but they really don’t deal with background knowledge. Plus going to the library and doing a lot of research (which books to get, which recipes to try, trying to teach myself, and then in the end only knowing how to follow someone else’s instructions) it is time consuming. These books had all the research needed to know how to cook in them. Check out the site www.athomecookinginstitute.com. Has anyone ever tried these e-books I am talking about?
    thesupermom411

Answer by thesupermom411 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009