Does anyone else see this around them?

The PA question that had people asking about the price of gas made me wonder. In the town where I live, there's a difference of up to 20 cents per gallon between opposite sides of town. Someone has even gone as far as to hang signs all over town about it, asking "why is gas so much cheaper on the south side?" (and in relation to that question - the gas on the south side IS below 2.50 a gallon, but on the north side it's right at 2.50ish)

I can see it being different between towns or counties because of taxes, but there's no tax reason for that kind of difference here. Oh, and town is not that big, you can drive end to end in 20 minutes. Does this happen anywhere else?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh yes. We actually plan our routes running errands so we can get gas as inepensively as possible. Best If we han get it in jersey. Sometimes a savings of almost 50 cents a gallon
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes!!! In my small valley, gas is 3.35 at one end, and at the other end it's at 3.17!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I live in Muncie IN and it happens here A LOT! One side of town (the more "expensive" side almost always has higher gas prices. It's ridiculous.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think it happens all over. It does in my area. We actually have two stations that are full service and they are a couple cents more too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The gas stations that are closer to the interstate are always higher than those way off the interstate. I live off of I-95 so depending on where you go in the county can mean a 20cent difference.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes, within a few miles, it can vary anywhere form 10cents to 20cents...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Pfft, that's so stupid. There's usually a 5 cent difference from one end of my town to another. But 20 cents? Wow, crazy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yep, It's not illegal but you don't have to buy gas at the more expensive stations either. They are allowed to make any profit they can without gouging and that would be determined by your State Attorney General. Personally, I see much more activity at the stations that are less expensive. Kinda dumb to be the highest station in town.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yep! I think it's called "convenience!" If you desperately need gas, you'll pay the price--even a few dollars worth to get you to a cheaper station!

I've found that in small towns and towns that are "off the beaten path" the prices tend to be higher, than on main roads. Prices also tend to be higher on interstate and toll roads--because often times rest areas and gas stations are 20+ miles apart.

And (lovingangels can verify!), the Valero in Stockertown is always more expensive, and today was about 30 cents higher than Rudy's Gulf on 25th Street in Easton...AND at Rudy's you can get an extra 10 cents off per gallon if you also get a car wash at the time you fill up! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009