bleeding nipples?

My son was born Thursday and I am breastfeeding. I have been using lansinoh cream but my nipples are cracked and one is even bleeding.The lactatio consultant I saw this morning said that he is latching correctly and it will take a couple days to "toughen" my nipples up but I feel pretty skeptical. Is there anything I can do to help lessen the pain when he is feeding on cracked nipples? BTW my milk has not come in yet....

KaireasMommy

Asked by KaireasMommy at 6:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nipple pain is very common no matter how correct your latch is. Just be very sure to rule it out before anything else. Be sure baby's moth is open wide and you get as much of the breast in as you can with the nipple as far back as you can. Try to keep all soaps off your nipples. Avoid anything that may irritate them so go topless if you like. After nursing, manually express a little milk onto your nipples and let it air dry. Breast milk is great for things like this. Use nipple cream when you need. I liked to keep mine cool. My lactation consultant gave me the idea to get some shredded iced carrots. Leave them directly over your nipples in your nursing pad. The vitamins are good for the skin and healing while the chill helps the pain.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Wow, I feel for you on this one.  Mine started cracking and bleeding after almost 3 months of me breastfeeding.  Sadly, it also ended breastfeeding.  I hope that you can find something that works, I couldn't either.  I used that same stuff you are and it didn't work.  I used all of the advice I got on how to help and it didn't work.  I feel your pain and I am so sorry that I can't help more.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Vitamin E capsules (cut one open and rub on your dry nipples) are a HUGE help. After your son finishes nursing, rub breastmilk on your nipples and let them air dry; follow with the E

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have to take dinner out of the oven but I'll get back to you. For now, join a breastfeeding group. It's far more helpful than the answers section =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Trust me, it WILL get better. It does take time, but it will improve. Keep using the lanisol and make sure that he latches on right every time. But yes, it will improve, do not doubt her on that. I worried about the same thing with my first, but I kept going and now, looking back it seems like it was such a short amount of time, though back then it felt like forever.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I only used the lansinoh and breastmilk method, but my sister used nipple shields when she was breastfeeding with alot of success. Good luck and definetly join one of the groups on here, I found them extremely helpful while I was breastfeeding.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• When you are breastfeeding nipples don't have to toughen up. I'm not sure what the lactation consultant was talking about. Sometimes the nipples aren't used to being pulled out if they are flat or inverted.

Lansinoh can make things worse. If it doesn't seem to be helping stop using it. Keep your nipples dry. It best not to wear a bra if possible. The breastmilk itself will help the nipples heal.

Bottles or pacifiers will make the situation worse.

www.kellymom.com is a gret site.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I used a nipple shield when for the first month, after a few days in the hospital breastfeeding became pretty painful and my nipples were cracked. the bleeding went away after a couple days. Def. invest in a nipple shield, they were a big help for me. Lansnioh helped me out a bunch too.
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 7:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• the medela nipple cream is amazing
    raenicole88

Answer by raenicole88 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• When you shower ,be sure not to use soap on your nipples that can really dry them. When your BF be sure to rub some BM on the sore nipple and let your breast dry .Try not to cover them up too quickly after you feed. The air is really good for them :) OH and CONGRATS!!!
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009