This guy doesn't believe in god... would this be a good reason to not stay with him?

I am not really into judging someone who does or doesn't believe, that is their own choice but this guy talks about it and talks about hell and the devil a lot... I don't like hearing about the devil. He says that swearing to god to mean shit to him and that if we had children together, he would not let me baptize him as catholic like I did with my son (different father, baptized him before I met my bf). I love him and I am sure we would work something out but is it good to have someone like that around my son? I am so confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Him not believing in god doesn't seem like the problem...he just sounds like kind of an ass.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• no, i think you shouldn't be with him. yeah sure he'll say now that you can baptise your son, but he can always change his mind. this will be a big problem down the road, i've seen it many times. there is also a verse that says not to marry someone with different beliefs (or something along those lines) if i find it i'll post it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Everyone has a choice whether to believe in God or not, it is about a personal relationship also. I wouldn't want my child to constantly hear talk about the devil and hell though.
    Anonymous

• It's up to you to decide if it's a deal breaker but the Bible says don't be unequally yoked. That means if you are a Christian don't hook up with a non believer. It just makes sense that it will cause problems. This guy is going to be a role model for your children. I am no religious zealot but I wouldn't have someone that anti god around my kids and wouldn't have children by him either but that's just me

Answer by admckenzie at 6:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would just have to move on and be friends with this person. If he is controling now, I wouldn't be around to find out later. Use your birth control until you figure this out on your own. Think very long and hard about staying with this person. Do you need him>???? If not run.... I think every baby should be baptized to show god, that we are blessed to have his gift from him. Babies are a gift from god in my eye's. If how ever you think the both of you can be happy living like this go for it. Just teach your child about god when watching the sky, clouds, and animals. I think with him talking about the devil is different with how you say he talks about the devil ..... Touchy question~
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you can respect each other's beliefs & agree on how to raise your children -- then I see no reason not to stay.

However, it doesn't sound much like he's respecting your POV right now. If he knows you're not comfortable with his talk of hell and what-not.. and he's already telling you what he will & will not "let" you do.... could be some issues there.

That's what it really all comes down to - respect & understanding.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The biblical answer to your question is like admckenzie said, about being unequally yoked.
    Lifes experience says making a relationship/marriage work is absolutely HARD enough even if all yur ducks are in a row ie... similar upbringing, beliefs, ethenic backgrounds, finaciallly sound.
    So that being said, then know what ever it is that our potential loved one does that we don't like, it is magnified at least 50 times once all the warm fuzzies go away. So then you can ask yourself can I live with THAT the rest of my life. And more importantly do I want my children to endure it.
    Good luck....I hope it helps in the processing
    meme4x

Answer by meme4x at 7:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yup i agree with admckenzie
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• if it bothers you now it will bother you more in the future...you got to make a list of priorities and see if he fits that bill then go from there
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• tell him to tone it down a bit.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009